F Intake on H series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F Intake on H series

Ok guys, this might be a dumb question but I would like to know...also I searched and didnt really find my answer. I have done zero mods to my engine and was thinking about a cold air intake, but in the FUTURE I plan on swapping out my f22a for a h series engine, so if I got a CAI for my F, would I have to get another one when I swap, or could I just use the old one? Also what about headers, exhaust, etc. Hope this is in the right section.
    Jay
    Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

the rule of thump on intakes is, you use the intake for the car chassis, not the motor....

same with exhausts...
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

So the intake manifold is the same diameter on both h and f engines? And on the exhaust and headers it all bolts up right, no matter what engine? Arent the exhaust holes on the h22 bigger than the ones on the f22? so if you put headers from a f on a h wouldnt it restrict airflow?
      Jay

Comment

no no no! you cant use same headers..... sorry didnt see the part about the headers...hehehe

i said Exhaust, muffler systems... so it follows the same lines...

H holes go 0--0-0--0 whie F22a1 goes 0-0-0-0

wont fit....

and the intake diameter it might be a slight difference, but the cupler is streachy do it will fit...

Comment

depending on if you want to get a cheap intake now or go out and get an overpriced aem. i would just get an intake for the prelude. i got a cai for a 92-96 prelude and it fits perfectly. and it will make a difference down the road. all the accord intakes ive had and seen are 2.5", and the preludes are 3.

and like phat said, the header wont change over, but the exhaust will. the bolt patterns between the prelude header and the accord cat/exhaust are the same. although i would be a new exhaust eventhough you wouldnt have to. you'll want a free'er flowing exhaust once you have more power up front.

Comment

Prelude intakes fit our accords? Because if I'm not mistakin, the preludes intake goes to the driver side of the battery, and their battery is turned in a different direction than ours, and our intake goes on the pass side of our battery. The reason I know this is because my neighbor has a 93 prelude and I was gonna buy his short ram intake but it wouldnt fit without moving my battery around.
            Jay

Comment

well im not sure about what goes on what side. but heres a pic of mine.

Comment

I guess you proved me wrong DrLove'sKuDang, maybe its just the short ram intakes that wont fit...anyways so the only difference in the 92-96 prelude and 90-93 accord is the tube diameter? Also thanks for the pic.
                Jay

Comment

Intakes will match, but the 2.5" tubing off the Accord is slightly more restrictive. The reason you have to stretch the coupler out is that the Prelude has a larger bore throttle body. There's no rule of thumb for intakes, go with what fits, if it doesn't run into anything, then it works. Battery relocation is no big deal if you're getting the CAI. I relocated my battery to the trunk, just easier that way. As for the header, don't waste money on one if you're swapping for an H22, they will not mate.

And by the way, Phatdoughnut, the H22 manifold has a wider stud spacing than that of the F-series manifold, that's why it doesn't work; Weren't you the same guy I called a twit for saying one missed shift in an H22 will blow it so swapping motors isn't worth it... on Honda-Tech forum? Dude, I just keep catching you spitting out mis-information, again, go back to Highschool Auto Mechanics 101. Stop posting if you don't what you're talking about. The F22B2 has a 0--0-0--0 header set-up and it's header doesn't mate with an H22 either, I know this cause I'm in the middle of dropping an H22A into a 94 Accord this week for a friend.

And yes, as for intakes, the tube diameter varies, as well as the throttle body size. You however can use a Prelude CAI on an Accord body as DrLove'sKuDang picture shows (Kept the good ole' A/C, eh?). Wish you luck with the swap.

Brad
                  Last edited by Surfjunkie44; 12-19-2003, 10:36 AM.
                  Your sponsor sucks! Member #001

Comment

Originally posted by Surfjunkie44
                    Intakes will match, but the 2.5" tubing off the Accord is slightly more restrictive. The reason you have to stretch the coupler out is that the Prelude has a larger bore throttle body. There's no rule of thumb for intakes, go with what fits, if it doesn't run into anything, then it works. Battery relocation is no big deal if you're getting the CAI. I relocated my battery to the trunk, just easier that way. As for the header, don't waste money on one if you're swapping for an H22, they will not mate.

And by the way, Phatdoughnut, the H22 manifold has a wider stud spacing than that of the F-series manifold, that's why it doesn't work; Weren't you the same guy I called a twit for saying one missed shift in an H22 will blow it so swapping motors isn't worth it... on Honda-Tech forum? Dude, I just keep catching you spitting out mis-information, again, go back to Highschool Auto Mechanics 101. Stop posting if you don't what you're talking about. The F22B2 has a 0--0-0--0 header set-up and it's header doesn't mate with an H22 either, I know this cause I'm in the middle of dropping an H22A into a 94 Accord this week for a friend.

And yes, as for intakes, the tube diameter varies, as well as the throttle body size. You however can use a Prelude CAI on an Accord body as DrLove'sKuDang picture shows (Kept the good ole' A/C, eh?). Wish you luck with the swap.

Brad
                    hey im just sayig what i read on PRELUDEONLINE.com
                    people bent valves and shit my miss shifting, i didnt say I DID IT... cause i know better... and i never said an f22b2 manifold would fit an h22.... and i did say that the H22 had a wider stud spacing, so i dont know what the fuck your triping on...

Comment

Originally posted by Surfjunkie44

yea, thanks. very observent i see. i wouldnt mind freeing up a couple more hp, but the summertime tradeoff isnt worth it. especially since i have a black car... btw, the bay is still tan cause i only had the outside painted. i dont care about a good paint job until all my engine work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
                        yea, thanks. very observent i see. i wouldnt mind freeing up a couple more hp, but the summertime tradeoff isnt worth it. especially since i have a black car... btw, the bay is still tan cause i only had the outside painted. i dont care about a good paint job until all my engine work is done.
                        I must not be that observant, or maybe it was just the lighting, I didn't notice your bay was tan until you mentioned it, LOL! I Just noticed the A/C because in my swap and Randy's (one I'm working on right now), neither of us kept the A/C so it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb if you're not used to seeing it!

Brad

Comment

sorry if this isn't totally related, but seems like some of you may have an answer.

I'll be using a built F22a1 engine (P&P cyl head) with a P&P H23 intake manifold & H23 TB. I was thinking of using the AEM CAI 2.5" or 2.75" ....which one should I go with?

I know you don't want to go too big cuz you'll lose air flow velocity, but is 2.5" large enough for my setup or would it be restricting?

I'll be installing a DC header & Thermal R&D 60mm exhaust as well.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Use a 3" intake tubing for best results. I always had thought that was too much until taking a ride in my friend Randy's F22B2, I was simply amazed how hard that lil' SOHC non-VTEC pulled. He uses a 3" piping intake, with just a DC header... He's a pretty good driver though. This is coming from an H22A owner as well.

Brad

Comment

Working...
                            X