h22a timing belt...need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a timing belt...need help

me and my brother converted his h22a4 from a auto tension to a manual and the timing belt keeps on sliping and rubbing against each other..and i need help...any suggestion would help cause its driving me crazy...

well double check you put everything back properly. and if thats all good my best bet is to buy a timing belt for an h23. but to my knowledge they are the same...dont really know what to say besides that. more than likely didnt get everything back in place.

Comment

if they are rubbing together that means they are to close, try losening up the tension a little bit. if it wont lossen something might be wrong with the timing. does that make sense at all?

i know my manual tensioner squeeeeeels really bad, it sounds like a freaking supercharger. its starting to slowly fade away tho.
      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

manual tensioner

it does sound like a freaking supercharger...lol

Comment

yeah mine did it, and it went away during idle, but when im driving there is still a slight hint of it.

Comment

Are the two belts touching, I read this can be catasrophic if you didnt shim the timing belt tensioner from the balance shaft tensioner.

Comment

Originally posted by xlr857
              Are the two belts touching, I read this can be catasrophic if you didnt shim the timing belt tensioner from the balance shaft tensioner.
              Yeah, did you shim the pulleys or do it the right way and buy new ones? You have to have them shimmed pretty precisely.

Comment

Since were on the timing belt topic, I just bought everything for the conversion today with the belts and water pump, is it possible to get the crank pulley bolt off with out air tools.

Comment

Yes. Its easier if you are up on a jack, but the easiest way when its on the ground I found is to take off the front bumper, put the socket on, then a nice sturdy breaker bar.. then a nice extension. Make sure also to get something to jam in the flywheel to keep it from spinning, I usually just use a piece of metal through the starter hole.

I use an 18" breaker bar and a 6 foot metal pipe over that, then stand on the pipe and bounce a few times.

Comment

Im actually doing this on the motor out of the car, Ill see if we can get enough leverage to turn it and not move the motor.

Comment

Ahh.. thats fun, I dunno how i did it out of the car. I did end up getting enough leverage though. If you still have the engine lift.. I would yank it up so the chains are tight incase it tries to roll over. at least you wont have to worry about enough space, and jamming the flywheel should be easy.

Comment

well you guys totally hijacked this thread..

you dont have to use a shimmy if you use the h23 pulley.. you do if you use the h22 one.. thats from scotts article.... he does state that it ends up being really tight, so tight you dont need to tighten it anymore, which i found to be true. and i think that is why it squeelzz...

Comment

Working...
                        X