• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightweight Flywheel

Hey experts, I need your advice....

Engine: H23A (JDM)
    Tranny: Stock from 1991 Accord EX
    Purposes: Daily Driver w/ occasional ability to overtake a slow driving semi/senior/dumbass; No quarter mile races, or track/circuit

Question: Is it beneficial to have a lightweight flywheel? Advantages/disadvantages? Why or why not?

I've read about lightweight flywheels in other sites for other cars, but I would like to know if anyone here has or had this in their car and your input... Thanks.

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
    Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Worthless on a daily driver or any car with a stock motor. It will make your clutch touchy.

Comment

So basically safe to say that its better to resurface my old flywheel or buying a new (stock weight) flywheel? I read somewhere that a light wheel helps you reach vtec limits faster but will also take you out of the vtec range the moment you shift, is that right?

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

I am in the same boat, but from what I researched, a 15+-lb flywheel might be good for your purpose.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I have had a stage 1 clutch kit and a act lightwieght flywheel for about 4 years.
          I'm going back to the stock flywheel.

I feel that the lightweight flywheel looses the RPM too fast and causes the car to decel fast which doesn't make for a smooth driving experience.
          That may not be described well. But on the interstate it is fine in stop and go traffic its not so good.

steve

Comment

Factory flywheel and clutch is the friendliest setup for a daily driver.

Also a lightweight flywheel will allow you to over rev easier causing spun bearings and also lose spinning momentum so shifting will be touchy and driving from a stop sign up a hill you will be more likely to stall.

A lightweight flywheel takes finesse even on a modded motor, even more so on a factory motor.

Comment

The engine RPM drop too fast? I feel as if it would slowly drop instead.

Comment

i have a excedy oem clutch with a 8 pound flywheel. i dont mind it but i only drive the car in the summer.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194049

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                  The engine RPM drop too fast? I feel as if it would slowly drop instead.
                  Yes it does. The motor has less weight to try and stop turning with a lighter flywheel. It is kind of like if you had to stop two different sets of wheels, one 11lb and the other 17lb. It takes less time for you stop the lighter wheel than the heavier one. Hope that makes sense, haha.

Instagram: n_buttz

The Jeepster ____ The CB7 ____ The TE38 ____ The S13

Comment

No, it makes sense to me as described. Okay great! I thank you guys for your responses and advice! I think I've made my decision. This forum rocks!!

Btw, that vid clip of the no-look scene always cracks me up when I see it
                    Last edited by Accord1320; 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Here is something I would advise you do during the process of removing the flywheel if you do, when you are removing the bolt, what I did was to use a 12 point 17mm socket and grind down the front of it so the opening is not round at the front and there is more surface making contact with the bolt head. I am not sure what condition your bolts are in but mine were in bad condition and kept rounding off so I did this trick.

Comment

When I change the tranny I will show you why you don't want to use a lightweight flywheel.

What wildbill said about working the clutch is true.

I didn't have any trouble taking my flywheel bolts off. I use the electric impact gun(harbor freight).

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                          I feel that the lightweight flywheel looses the RPM too fast and causes the car to decel fast which doesn't make for a smooth driving experience.
                          That may not be described well. But on the interstate it is fine in stop and go traffic its not so good.

steve
                          I have a lighter flywheel and it pretty much feels like this. Decel pretty fast on the highway. I think it catches the clutch just a tad bit faster than stock. But on a daily, everyday car, I wouldn't do it. though, I only drive my car less than 30 miles a day so its not too bad.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                          My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                          Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

@XCRN: the flywheel bolts are in perfect shape. But I will keep your suggestion in mind.

It was also suggested by a machine shop that for faster throttle response, 12 lbs. is the absolute lowest to go. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              Factory flywheel and clutch is the friendliest setup for a daily driver.

Also a lightweight flywheel will allow you to over rev easier causing spun bearings and also lose spinning momentum so shifting will be touchy and driving from a stop sign up a hill you will be more likely to stall.

A lightweight flywheel takes finesse even on a modded motor, even more so on a factory motor.
                              I imagine throttle control would be a big problem too. How many times in a standard do you rev-match (dis-engaging the clutch, downshifting, taking off, etc.) ie - you know you can move the shifter at a certain speed too based on the rpm gauge speed. easier to rev match when up shifting/down shifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X