H22 Swap Power Steering line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Swap Power Steering line

I just wanted to share an experience that I thought would be helpful for everyone. I will keep the chatter to a minimum and get on with the pics soon.

I swapped an h22a into my CB9 and along with that swap elected to maintain PS, as this is my wife's DD. Through much searching locally and at junkyards I could not find a used H22 or H23 (same line and pump BTW) power steering line.

I opted to buy one from Autozone.com because they were offering free shipping and also a giftcard if one spent $100 - thus I got the line for $80 shipped (or close to that IIRC). Lines on Ebay were going for $65-100+ so I figured why not buy new.

After I got the swap running I had a constant PO whine that would not go away. This is post flush, no leaks...etc I figured the pump I got from HMO wasn't in good shape - because I primed everything (even the line) prior to starting the swap so if there was any air in the system at startup it was VERY minimal.

new/used pump later to try and solve the problem (again with another expensive OEM PS fluid drain/fill) I still had a constant whine.

I compared inlet lines from the F22 pump and H22 pump and figured I found my problem when I realized I used my F22 line and had to stretch the nutts out of it to get it to fit over the larger H22 barb. I had lots of extra hose around so I upped the line to toe proper size for the H22 pump - still whined (coincidentally my wife was too ).

I used my stethoscope and heard nothing but good sounds coming from the pump and couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me. The sub-par Autozone pressure line I bought seemed a bit "smaller" in diameter to the F22 line I had hanging on my wall (I didn't ever have an OEM H22/H23 line to compare so I figured Autozone's line would have matched).

I finally found one in a yard and went and bought it immediately to swap in and get rid of the aftermarket junk. Onto the pics of the shotty Autozone part. This is for all 92-96 H-series preludes - Autozone part number 91750

H23 Honda line top, Autozone line bottom

H on top, Autozone middle, F22A1 line on bottom

H - ID measurement

Autozone - ID measurement

Autozone OD hose (3/8) vs. H measurement (just under 1/2")

This is well over 10% difference in the ID measurement. Obviously enough to strain the pump and create the constant whine I had. Post swap to the OEM line everything is perfect!

More half-ass related pics:

F series hose (left) vs. H series (on pump)

I should have taken more pictures of the hard line comparison between the hoses for "bending" purposes when you swap lines. I will say that the OEM line was significantly easier to bend into shape than the Autozone line was.

I really hopes this helps anyone trying to source a line for their swap.
    Last edited by noahrexion; 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM.

Great write up. That's very informative. When buying a power steering line it's always best to go OEM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

When I did my h swap, I couldn't get the f line/pump to work at all, went to the junk yard, found a 92-95 Prelude with an f22, the line was exactly what I needed, no modifying of any kind...

Comment

I'm sure others may chime in but if you care to share what pump/line you got to fit that'd make this an even better resource for searching in the future.

I believe, from what I've read only, that an F pump can be modified to fit. An F line fits an F pump and an H line fits an H pump - that much I know.

I gather from that you wrote that you used a Prelude F pump and line, is that correct? Any modification(s) necessary to get the pump to fit? The line?

EDIT - is this what you did?
        The prelude S (F22) line is bent in such a way that you can maintain your F pump (either) and use the Prelude S (F22) line to fit.

Comment

When I did my h22a swap, I am pretty sure (this was in 2006) that I went to a junk yard, pulled the line, bracket and p/s pump from a h23 prelude. The only thing I did was bend the hardline pipe that directly came off the p/s pump down a little so it did not rub my hood. That was it. Basically plug and play.
          "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Ive never done an h swap, but I've swapped plenty on other chassis.

Anyways, a custom line from a hydraulics shop would also fix this. The shop I use charges 60-75 bux, and they give me a nice braided line. Never had an issue with a custom line, just got to go to a good shop.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

That is also true.

The main purpose of this thread is to show folks NOT to buy an aftermarket line unless it matches the measurements shown (of the OEM lines).

We know H-series pumps and lines work. I too, have had hydraulics shops take care of this for me on other vehicles, no issues as long as the measurements are close to matching up.

My junkyard line cost $9 (H23). The sensor from your F22 line will swap over to any others (if you want to maintain the idle-up function from low RPM/high pressure situations). This plug can be left disconnected if that doesn't matter.

Comment

since i had a welder at the time, i just cut both lines and welded them, both lines are pretty thick, and can be welded

my wifes car ps line has been welded for 2 years and counting
                Originally posted by deevergote
                Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

When I did my swap, I used the h22 pump and a line from a Prelude with an f22, didn't have to modify/bend anything. It fit like it was supposed to and never had any leaking issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Oreellyfool View Post
                    When I did my h22a swap, I am pretty sure (this was in 2006) that I went to a junk yard, pulled the line, bracket and p/s pump from a h23 prelude. The only thing I did was bend the hardline pipe that directly came off the p/s pump down a little so it did not rub my hood. That was it. Basically plug and play.
                    I thought the bend was done on the bottom of the hose, and I heard that you have to remove the shield that covers the lines on the rack.

Comment

When you use an H line you can fit the stock cover back on without much work at all. (the cover needs to come off to remove any of the lines going into the rack).

I have not used the prelude F22 line, but it is great to know it works!

Comment

And a lot cheaper and easier to find

Comment

Originally posted by noahrexion View Post
                          When you use an H line you can fit the stock cover back on without much work at all. (the cover needs to come off to remove any of the lines going into the rack).

I have not used the prelude F22 line, but it is great to know it works!
                          Thanks for the tip, it's good to know, I have the h22 pump and bracket and now I have the h23 power steering line. I have read other people say that the shield needs to come off and that they needed to bend it a bit. But your tip helps.

Comment

Originally posted by antonio7566 View Post
                            Thanks for the tip, it's good to know, I have the h22 pump and bracket and now I have the h23 power steering line. I have read other people say that the shield needs to come off and that they needed to bend it a bit. But your tip helps.
                            When you put the line in the rack (and I would recommend this before too much bending) make sure that the first 1/2-1" of flare tubing coming out of the rack bolt is not so much bent. This will make screwing it into the rack easier and give you a little headway for making the bend up and out of the way of the sway bar.

I bend my cover a TINY bit to get it to fit, but no cutting or holes.

Comment

Originally posted by noahrexion View Post
                              F series hose (left) vs. H series (on pump)

I'm trying to put the H23 pump on as well but I need to know how in the world do I make my F22a power steering reservoir work with the H23 one? I know that the hard line for that is too big for me to use the F22a one and that I got to use the H23 one, but will I also have to buy the H23 reservoir as well? How will I make a bigger diameter hose work on my smaller diameter reservoir outlet?
                              “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                              ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Working...
                              X