H23A/F22B DOHC head vs F22A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23A/F22B DOHC head vs F22A?

Assuming you're gonna go w/aftermarket cams + pistons and the same bolt ons (H23 IM, header, 2.5-3" exhaust) which one's the better head for all motor?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

That's a good question! I would have to say the f22a since its been proved by many people as a great flowing head. I think the DOHC make more tq but I could be wrong.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
    MRT F22B - 643whp - 529tq @ 30psi
    11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

Originally posted by NWaccord View Post
      That's a good question! I would have to say the f22a since its been proved by many people as a great flowing head. I think the DOHC make more tq but I could be wrong.
      Stock for stock obv the F22B/H23A have more aggressive cams, and the motors have higher compression, but if you take those differences out of the equation I'm wondering if DOHC is really worth it

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

You should know Mike's going to come on and tell you the f22a head flows the best. DOHC is only good if you like to play with valve timing. SOHC means having to swap cams to adjust valve timing as opposed to just adjusting the cam gears.

Bisi's showing off his 361 bhp N/A f22a on FB that runs on pump gas. Seems like it's flowing nicely to me.

Comment

Unless u have a DOHC laying around and are willing to pay the extra money for the twin cams/cam gears (Dual springs and retainers cost the same) its not really worth it.
          Last edited by NWaccord; 01-28-2011, 05:01 PM.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
          MRT F22B - 643whp - 529tq @ 30psi
          11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

They'd all flow well enough for a street build, honestly... The biggest benefit to DOHC is being able to dial in the intake and exhaust valve timing separately. However, it is done so at the expense of extra valvetrain weight (and overall weight), more cramped port design, and a less ideal valve angle compared to the F22A.

The F22A in stock form is fairly restrictive due to the exhaust ports. Open them up, upgrade the cam and valvesprings, and you'll have something worthwhile. Aditionally, you'll KNOW it's right for the block, so there won't be any added concern about a headswap going wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X