No announcement yet.

Bang for buck swap/motor build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If tracking is your goal, you'd be wise to put money into your suspension, brakes, and tires before you even think about increasing the power. If you've already done that, then nevermind.

Do you just plan on going to open track days, or do you plan on competing in events? I'm only asking because if you decide to race in an organized racing series, a turbo kit is going to put you against cars that will absolutely destroy you.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      If tracking is your goal, you'd be wise to put money into your suspension, brakes, and tires before you even think about increasing the power. If you've already done that, then nevermind.

Do you just plan on going to open track days, or do you plan on competing in events? I'm only asking because if you decide to race in an organized racing series, a turbo kit is going to put you against cars that will absolutely destroy you.
      Already done Still shopping for some street legal race rubber tho.

Just open track days. I am not too into competing really. As long as I can take most cars on the streets I am happy. (just knowing I can, not necessarily actually racing them)

Why would they destroy me?

Also by ringlands do you mean piston rings?
      Last edited by SleepyG; 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM.

Comment

No, I mean the part of the piston that the rings rest on. They are rather fragile, at least under boost. When all is done right, and the motor doesn't fail due to detonation or some other catastrophic failure, it's always the ringlands that give way. I've seen just about every competent boosted member on here lose a stock-block to that. As long as you catch it early, it shouldn't do any damage... it just means it's time for a rebuild. Resurfacing your cylinder walls is all you'd need to do (and that should be done when installing new pistons regardless...)

As for cars destroying you... If you boost to 230whp and compete, you're going to be put in a class against heavily modified cars. 600hp turbo M3s, Corvettes, Evos, STis, etc... I'm only guessing here, but based on my research on the Honda Challenge races, if I were to put a turbo on my car, I'd be up against NSXs, and anyone else with a turbo.

BUT, if you're just going for open days where you can tear around the track to try to imrpove your lap time, then your options are open to you. That's the sort of tracking I'd like to do myself, except the track that just opened near me doesn't seem to have many open days like that!

Comment

So I take it if I DID want to compete I would have to go all out NA and I would still get raped by guys like Bisi lol.

Comment

Pretty much.

There are different classes, obviously, and you'd be able to find one that fits your level of modification.

We have a CB7 member named Karl that regularly competes in the Honda Challenge series, and does very well (as in, he wins). I believe he has an H22 swap now.

Comment

Well thanks for all the info anyways, I feel like I actually have a set direction I am going with the car now.

I actually just took it in today to have my whole gas tank, gas lines, and brake hardlines re-done. Pretty expensive but its gotta be done if I wanna keep her for as long as I do.

She was leaking above half a tank so it was coming apart at the seam. I have known since Dec. last year but just kept it under a half tank(which means getting gas almost every day) until one of my lines started sweating gas a month ago and I could start to really smell it.

Got a call from my mechanic an hour ago saying my fuel sending unit was rusted to shyt so now thats being replaced too with a Walbro 255lph , may as well do it now.

Comment

Working...
              X