H22a idle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22a idle question

heyy I have my swapped cb7 everything works great and it runs amazing. one concern i kinda have is were should it be idle ing when fully warmed up. as of now i turn it on cold it revs up to like 3k then down to like 2k and bobs around. i think thats all normal

now when its warmed up it idles around 800 id say, maybe 700 and every once in a while gets a little jump. a very small jump up in rpm and back down. i just want to make sure this is normal?

yo mines does too srry i cant find answer to it

Comment

When your car is cold started, your idle shouldn't be more than 1.5rpms or so. As the car warms the idle will start to drop and soon be in the 750-850ish range.

If your car idle keeps bobbing up and down when you are at a stop, that means you either have a vacuum leak or your IACV valve or your airboost valve (if you have a jdm motor this will just have a blockoff plate) is malfunctioning.

The IACV can be cleaned and that sometimes remedies the problem. It's located on your intake manifold and has coolant lines connected to it and held by 3 bolts. Clean out the carbon deposits on the little screen with carb cleaner but do not get the sensor attached to it wet! If you do this, you will risk damaging the part entirely and it will not work. Also make sure the little spiral plastic on the inside is a nice white before putting it back on.

Anyways a normal idle is under 1k when your car is fully warmed up, but sometimes it's necessary to adjust the idle screw if you have aftermarket lightweight underdrive pulleys and or a sound system etc. that can suck more power from your alternator causing the idle to dip more when you are not in motion.

I have Unorthodox pulleys and I couldn't stand the idle dipping so low where it felt like it was going to shut off. It will go from 880ish down all the way to 560ish and shudder my car. I adjusted my idle screw just under 1k and changed my Neptune ECU settings ideal idle to 985. Since then I had no idle issues.
      Last edited by Kurobei; 04-15-2010, 02:30 AM.
      I need a custom turbo manifold built....
      707 NorCal NinjaZ

Honda Twincam Motorwerkz?
      "I am the Yakuza CB7!"
      '92 Accord Sedan SiR

Comment

Originally posted by Kurobei View Post
        When your car is cold started, your idle shouldn't be more than 1.5rpms or so. As the car warms the idle will start to drop and soon be in the 750-850ish range.

If your car idle keeps bobbing up and down when you are at a stop, that means you either have a vacuum leak or your IACV valve or your airboost valve (if you have a jdm motor this will just have a blockoff plate) is malfunctioning.

The IACV can be cleaned and that sometimes remedies the problem. It's located on your intake manifold and has coolant lines connected to it and held by 3 bolts. Clean out the carbon deposits on the little screen with carb cleaner but do not get the sensor attached to it wet! If you do this, you will risk damaging the part entirely and it will not work. Also make sure the little spiral plastic on the inside is a nice white before putting it back on.

Anyways a normal idle is under 1k when your car is fully warmed up, but sometimes it's necessary to adjust the idle screw if you have aftermarket lightweight underdrive pulleys and or a sound system etc. that can suck more power from your alternator causing the idle to dip more when you are not in motion.

I have Unorthodox pulleys and I couldn't stand the idle dipping so low where it felt like it was going to shut off. It will go from 880ish down all the way to 560ish and shudder my car. I adjusted my idle screw just under 1k and changed my Neptune ECU settings ideal idle to 985. Since then I had no idle issues.
        hey thanks for the info! ya driving it feels fine and stop lights it goes like 700 id say but doesnt scare me like its gunna stall. but you think when its started cold it shouldnt rev up to 3k? mine does for like 10 sec then down to 2k 10 more sec then 1k -1.5k till fully warmed. im not sure what the problem is.

it is jdm and i do have lightwieght flywheel, ac and power steering delete. but i have it tuned with hondata. i think its fine how it is, i was just curious about how other swaps are running.

Comment

Working...
        X