To pull, or not to pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To pull, or not to pull

Ok I am preparing the old wagon for that manual swap. Im tired of getting 22mpgs on a healthy tuned engine. So now I wanna know one thing. Should I just leave the motor in or take it out while doing the swap? I understand it may be easier to pull it out and do the work but I think that will take me too long to do that. What did everybody do when they swapped? I need some shortcuts to make this happen in a weekend. Thanks!

I know somebody can give me an answer here......

Comment

Take the motor out, it will save you time and space.
      Me and my friend did it on his 91 CB, we took the whole motor out and did all the shift linkers and crap. We were thinking of just taking out the tranny but its a pain in the ass plus it heavy...

Comment

mndude07 and i did his 5-speed swap without pulling the motor. it is doable, but if you have the space pulling the motor might make it easier. if you use a load leveler, you can possibly put the motor and tranny together while they are out of the car saving you some time on your back wrenching under the car.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Yea the bad part is that I have to convert the rear bracket and thats a pain in the terd cutter. Dropping an auto tranny is gravy but a manual tranny you got to have help with. Does anybody have any tricks doing it with the engine in? Im going to be taking off the intake manifold anyways so would that make it any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
            Yea the bad part is that I have to convert the rear bracket and thats a pain in the terd cutter. Dropping an auto tranny is gravy but a manual tranny you got to have help with. Does anybody have any tricks doing it with the engine in? Im going to be taking off the intake manifold anyways so would that make it any better?
            use an engine hoist and lift the motor an inch or two and you can un-bolt it from underneath the car. 2 people really helps to get the rear mount out and the new one in. we didnt take off the intake manifold, but it might give you more room.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

was able to do my buddys 5sp swap for him with motor in bay, but only problem was clutch hard lines not up against the wall completely and not behind "all" wires/components.

Comment

Pulling the whole motor will be easier, but also take longer...so if you have plenty of time then do that.
                There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What if your just swapping manual transmissions for example an h23 tranny, is pulling the whole motor still easier or just do the tranny itself?

Comment

Its easier to deal with bolting/unbolting the flywheel and clutch outside the engine bay. Also, it would make staking the transmission way easier. If you're swapping to a 5 speed with ESP mounts for example, and have to change all the mounts, you may as well pull the whole motor too....if you can.
                    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OK I guess ill go ahead and pull the engine. Ill have a bunch of people to help so maybe I can do this bitch in a weekend.

Comment

shag if you need some help, i am not doing anything for the next couple of days if you need a hand.
                        MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

I'd pull it out cause then you have all the space like everyone else here said.

Originally posted by toycar
                          Braking the bank, maybe. Feeling like a boss, likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCoupe View Post
                            shag if you need some help, i am not doing anything for the next couple of days if you need a hand.
                            Man I tell you what. If I knew for a fact that I had all my crap together and everything was going to go as planned I would ride to ATL and do it there but every time I do something major to an Accord something else breaks and its down for a week haha.

Comment

ah shit i would have come over there to help you
                              MR:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150506

CHAMPCOUPE IS BACK !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X