5-spd swap....radius rod swap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-spd swap....radius rod swap??

Just wondering how many of you swapped to the 5-spd passenger radius rod along with your tranny swap.

I know that my XTD clutch is screwed up, but also wondering if the auto radius rod I have is flexing any also contributing to the shakes I get upon clutch engagement.
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Hmm, good question, I'd like to know if any one swapped as well. I did the auto to 5 speed swap and never changed it. I knew they were different but never really though how it might affect the way the car drives.

Comment

Well the reason it is different is because of the shape of the automatic tranny. It is still a solid metal bar but maybe the 5 spd bar is more solid due to its straight design with no curves or bends.
      FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
      Pm meX
      I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
      H22A Swap
      I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

I'd just say screw dicking around with it and get a traction bar.
        wat?

Comment

I never changed em, and never have had a problem. I thought about it, but since there haven't been any issues, I haven't worried about it.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

mine are still the same, no issues. i didn't even realize they were different

Comment

Just wondering what everyone had, I'm sure ALL of my issues are from the XTD "products" aka "crap" in the bell housing.
              My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Shaking upon engagement can be due to improper break in. It's called clutch chatter.

That, or something is loose in your suspension/engine mounts.

There's no need to replace the radius rod. THe only reason the auto one was different was to accomodate the size of the transmission.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

could also be too much runout on the flywheel surface.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

As much bad luck as many here have had with XTD products I tend to blame it on that. I took it easy on the clutch for the first few hundred miles, which is the only break in procedure stated in the clutch instructions. I'm running all 3 ESP mounts so no movement there. Suspension is tight and axles are fine. The only time it chatters is when I let the clutch out slowly with light throttle.

Slow release, no throttle is smooth.
                    Quick release, much throttle is smooth.

I'm convinced it's the clutch/flywheel.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Definitely a clutch chatter issue. Was the flywheel new? If not, was it resurfaced?

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

The flywheel was a brand new XTD Prolite 12lb range I think. I know that when I installed the flywheel, the small positioning hole in the flywheel so it is oriented correctly on the crankshaft was a tad larger than the peg coming out of the crankshaft. Thus allowing a little bit of wobbly movement until the bolts were torqued.....I did my best on centering it but have often wondered if this contributed to the issue.
                        My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                          The flywheel was a brand new XTD Prolite 12lb range I think. I know that when I installed the flywheel, the small positioning hole in the flywheel so it is oriented correctly on the crankshaft was a tad larger than the peg coming out of the crankshaft. Thus allowing a little bit of wobbly movement until the bolts were torqued.....I did my best on centering it but have often wondered if this contributed to the issue.
                          i wouldnt worry about centering but more of runout. i have a cheapy chinese 13lb in my DD and from day one, it chattered.

pulling it out and putting in a resurfaced oem.

the good news is that if you resurface the XTD, it should be as good as new.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

No, I'm replacing the XTD if for no other reason than to have a flywheel with timing marks on it.
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X