p72?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p72?

is there any noticable gains using a p72 ecu over a p13 for a h22a?

stronger top end?

couldnt find anything searching...

originally from importreview:

btw, the red line is w/p72.

im using a p72, but it was socketed, so those results wouldnt apply to me.

Comment

from what i read on the p72 or acura gsr ecu ( i cant remember if this is correct) is the best one to use. cuz of the nearly perfect air/fuel ratio.

Comment

after doing extensive research, and taking advice from reputable tuners on this board, a *chipped p28* is the better option, IMO for a h22 swap. some advantages consist of:

*early vtec engagement
        *wont throw cel codes for egr, iabs, ks
        *not as expensive as a p72

i.e. i have a jdmsh!t H22a race programmed p28. vtec engages at 4700rpms, and rev limiter set to 8800rpms.
        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

im sorry, but whats the p28 from?

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
            im sorry, but whats the p28 from?
            P28 : 92-95 OBD-1 Civic Si/Ex
            info from here
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr
              P28 : 92-95 OBD-1 Civic Si/Ex
              info from here
              just what i was looking for, thanks

Comment

sure nuff
                ~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                  after doing extensive research, and taking advice from reputable tuners on this board, a *chipped p28* is the better option, IMO for a h22 swap. some advantages consist of:

*early vtec engagement
                  *wont throw cel codes for egr, iabs, ks
                  *not as expensive as a p72

i.e. i have a jdmsh!t H22a race programmed p28. vtec engages at 4700rpms, and rev limiter set to 8800rpms.
                  i dont understand how that is supposed to work. shouldnt they have your car on a dyno to properly tune? it seems like theyre just throwing out random curves and bumping the rev limit. btw, i dont think 8800 is necessary on a h22. and im not sure if they can chip for it, but the p72 has iab control... and obviously the stock p28's do not.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang
                    i dont understand how that is supposed to work. shouldnt they have your car on a dyno to properly tune? it seems like theyre just throwing out random curves and bumping the rev limit. btw, i dont think 8800 is necessary on a h22. and im not sure if they can chip for it, but the p72 has iab control... and obviously the stock p28's do not.
                    but i dont have iabs anymore; im gonna be running with the skunk2 IM, a built h22 head, etc...

*correction on the jdmsh!t p28---> its 4800 vtec engagement and 8500 rev limiter
                    Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 11-15-2004, 07:20 PM.
                    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

In a previous thread (now buried) I believe BustedLX said that there have been no recorded gains using the P72 over the P28.

True, the P28 doesn't have IAB control, but I read that you can still set the IABs to open at a certain time... somehow.

The P28 seems to be the ECU of choice for most H22 users, so I'll probably go with that myself.

Comment

You buy what you can afford... either ECU will give yo uthe gains you desire.

I personally run a P72 but only because it is the ECU I use to tune others with, It's my street tuning ECU so it's equiped with a USB port for Datalogging and etc.

But if I had to purchase an ECU tomorrow it would be a P28. The P72 can control the IAB's and has the added safety of a knock sensor but since most people don't use the correct wire for their knock sensors in their swaps they disable the knock sensor to avoid problems.

The IAB's provide no noticable gains. I spent two hours on a Dyno proving this to myself. I think the LARGEST gain I could tune between the IAB/ no IAB's was 1.2 whp. So honestly the added price of the P72 for a measly 1.2whp isn't worth it.

My Euro-R manifold has finally returned from being P+P'd and now I'm waitning on my 65mm TB. When that gets here I'm going to throw that in and probably start running a P28 and keep the P72 strickly for tuning, since pulling it out of my car and pluging it into someone elses with the romulator and all that is a pain in the ass. I'd rather leave my car alone

K-Mart, Buy yourself what ever you can afford man... If you are intrested I sell Chipped P28's for $215 shipped payment via paypal. P72's are about an extra $60-$70 bucks depending on if I can locate one (they pretty rare).
                        My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
                          I personally run a P72 but only because it is the ECU I use to tune others with, It's my street tuning ECU so it's equiped with a USB port for Datalogging and etc.

oh u know i have to jump in on all this ecu talk lol...ok so just simply plugging in a stock p72 will actually run the h22 well all over the fuel and ignition matrix?

If the ecu is socketed be it a p72 or a p28 its the same thing. You can convert either ecu to read the same program and run them exactly the same with the exception of the previously mentioned ks, iab's and such.

bustedlx - do you have an h22 base map you could send me? bigg_body_benz@yahoo.com if so. Don't worry i won't dip into your kool-aid lol
                          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

The P72 unchipped will not run the H22A properly, It's timing and fuel are pretty off. It'll run it but not as it should.
                            My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
                              The P72 unchipped will not run the H22A properly, It's timing and fuel are pretty off. It'll run it but not as it should.
                              yea i found that hard to believe. But the way they were wording it was like "is a bone stock p72 better than the p13" ya know? I'd say it might idle it but it should sound like a lawnmower on the stock ecu.
                              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                              X