how hard is it to put in a tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard is it to put in a tranny?

my cars tranny is slipping bad....i was just wonderin how hard it is to put one in...

That's a tough question. It's definitely one of the more difficult DIY things to tackle, but if you're good with your hands and tools, have a strong back or the proper support tools and maybe a couple of buddies to help, it's more tedious and slow than anything.

Since you're asking, I assume you have no knowledge about it, so I'd give it a 7 out of 10 for difficulty.

Comment

well ive done a tranny in my buddys old truck but it was easier because it wasn't a front wheel drive.ive never done a front wheel drive before

Comment

I had to replace my rear main seal, I had fun takin off my tranny it was exceiting.

I didn't even take the axles out the car, I left them in.

Next time ill take em out, it will make it a lil more easier. Hardest part is lining up the trans, def a 2 person job for a tranny drop, but jus 1 person can pull it off...

Don't forget to have the rite tools!
        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
          I had to replace my rear main seal, I had fun takin off my tranny it was exceiting.

I didn't even take the axles out the car, I left them in.

Next time ill take em out, it will make it a lil more easier. Hardest part is lining up the trans, def a 2 person job for a tranny drop, but jus 1 person can pull it off...

Don't forget to have the rite tools!
          x2 and goodluck. i have to take my trans down in a week or so to swap out clutches
          My cb7

h22a
          5-spd lsd
          Lord, grant me the serenity
          to accept the things I cannot change,
          the courage to change the things I can,
          and the wisdom to hide the bodies
          of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

pull a part has transmissions for $50...so im keepin the cb7....!!!

Comment

It took me and my dad about 1 to 1.5 hours last time we took a tranny out of a cb7. Not really hard at all to me.

Instagram: n_buttz

The Jeepster ____ The CB7 ____ The TE38 ____ The S13

Comment

if its an automatic, it is very easy.
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

well im goin in the morning to memphis pullapart because i didn't have everything to pull the one off in nashville..as it was me by myself so it sucked ass...

Comment

took me 2 hours damn i hate it
                    You Can Catch me Ridin In My CB Eyes On The Rearview Lookin For The Police

Comment

pulling one out can be done in 30 min or less, getting one in could be 30 min or 3 hours
                      1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                      newer race video,older race videos
                      1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                      1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

i got a tranny....took me about 20 minutes all together....haha i bought it from slick and it was already out...just had to load it up... so anyways im about to leave to go get strted on it...

Comment

just dont try to leave one axle in. take out the axles and strut rod. some jack stands and a good floor jack and you should be ok. a basic tool set will do
                          96 Accord SiR driveline installed. CF2 donar

Comment

I just put an H23 tranny in my car 2 weeks ago.

Its was a royal pain in my ass. I did all the Wrencin' my self, then had my Bro help out with the lifting.

1. Buy a 5th of whisky (your choice)
                            2. remove the axles
                            3. Remove the linkage and hoses to speed sensor
                            4 Loosen bell housing bolts. I removed all but one
                            5. remove all motor mounts. This is so the engine drops slightly at an angle. Youll never get it in if you dont do this.
                            6. do everything backwards for assembly.

I did it in my driveway with basic hand tools. Took me about 2 weeks couse i have kids so the car is second on the list.

Comment

everytime we changed my tranny it took around 5 hrs in all...

then i did it by myself.. i had it out in 25min, and got a hand dropping it back in, in about 45....

but thats where experience and lots of removals and reinstalls comes in handy.

if it's auto don't forget to take the torque plate bolts out...

ps. that was busting ass ..... i wanted to see just how fast it could be done.
                              to get it out i found it easier to drop the front subframe instead of removing the swaybars and linkages, and i do remove my axles.
                              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                              X