Stock for stock swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock for stock swap

Well my friend has a 1992 Accord 4 door, LX. The thing is in excellent mechanical shape EXCEPT the bottom end of the engine is completely owned. Why is a separate story.

So needless to say he wants to bring the car back to life so he can use it as a DD. So we are going to hopefully put a good used engine into it.

He tells me the car needs an F22A4. I'm not sure what's different between the A1-A4, and if it is critical that we get a certain model.

Aside from knowing there will be rusty nuts and bolts, is there anything too out there on swapping this setup? I do mechanic work at a body shop and have a good amount of automotive college and work under my belt, so I'm up for anything, but have NOT done one of these before. I was thinking pull the engine and tranny as one piece, and swap the trans and accessories over, and put it all in as one piece.

Any input, let me know. I'm kind of out of the loop on good engine sources, and we are hoping to stay AROUND $500 for the engine. I have driven the car before and after it dumped and the trans works as smooth as the one in my 04 Civic.

Thanks much in advance, you guys have not let me down before!!

If he has a 92 LX, the stock motor was a F22A1. The A4 was in the 90-91 EX. If he want's to upgrade to the 92-93 EX motor, he would need the F22A6. Or he can just get the F20A or the F22A JDM motor as a stock replacement. Tiger Japanese has an F20A for $590. A straight like for like engine swap is pretty simple and straight forward. Just pay close attention to the small details and get a Helms manual. You won't regret it!
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

the difference between the A1 and A4 is the exhaust manifold, it's a tubular design. if he bought an A1 engine, that exhaust setup he has on the A4 would be an upgrade.

it seems like that F20A would be the cheapest right now since Tiger's F22As have gone up in price it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
        the difference between the A1 and A4 is the exhaust manifold, it's a tubular design. if he bought an A1 engine, that exhaust setup he has on the A4 would be an upgrade.

it seems like that F20A would be the cheapest right now since Tiger's F22As have gone up in price it seems.
        That is a smaller engine, so isn't there a slight fuel economy difference?

And from what you are saying is the F20A would swap right in? Is there anything that would have to change?

Comment

Originally posted by monkeydude3 View Post
          That is a smaller engine, so isn't there a slight fuel economy difference?

And from what you are saying is the F20A would swap right in? Is there anything that would have to change?

I have to assume you mean the f20a is slightly smaller. After 16 years, his ragged out a4 wasn't getting the best mileage it ever did, so any newer engine is going to show a difference. If you're thinking the f22a1 is smaller than the f22a4 or vice versa, you should really learn some more about engines and our cars before you attempt this swap. All f22XX engines are 2.2 liter displacement.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeydude3 View Post
            Well my friend has a 1992 Accord 4 door, LX. The thing is in excellent mechanical shape EXCEPT the bottom end of the engine is completely owned. Why is a separate story.

So needless to say he wants to bring the car back to life so he can use it as a DD. So we are going to hopefully put a good used engine into it.

He tells me the car needs an F22A4. I'm not sure what's different between the A1-A4, and if it is critical that we get a certain model.

Aside from knowing there will be rusty nuts and bolts, is there anything too out there on swapping this setup? I do mechanic work at a body shop and have a good amount of automotive college and work under my belt, so I'm up for anything, but have NOT done one of these before. I was thinking pull the engine and tranny as one piece, and swap the trans and accessories over, and put it all in as one piece.

Any input, let me know. I'm kind of out of the loop on good engine sources, and we are hoping to stay AROUND $500 for the engine. I have driven the car before and after it dumped and the trans works as smooth as the one in my 04 Civic.

Thanks much in advance, you guys have not let me down before!!
            first...the second statement in your first paragraph COMPLETELY negates the first statement...a bad bottom end means the top is NOT in excellent shape. Might not be ruined or as bad as the bottom...but no excellent

second...this dude is wrong and doesn't know his cb7's very well. The difference between a1, a4, a6 is mostly intake manifold and ecu...some other stuff but the bottom ends are the same. The f22a6 does however have a windage tray and a slightly different oil pickup tube (both are better than the a1 and a4 setup) the a6 is the best of the variations, but to get the most potential put the tubular exhaust manifold from the a4 onto it.

HOWEVER...in the end...you can use the bottom end from any cb7 engine on yours it will not matter. The blocks are the same (aside from those two parts that bolt onto the block)
            ____

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
              I have to assume you mean the f20a is slightly smaller. After 16 years, his ragged out a4 wasn't getting the best mileage it ever did, so any newer engine is going to show a difference. If you're thinking the f22a1 is smaller than the f22a4 or vice versa, you should really learn some more about engines and our cars before you attempt this swap. All f22XX engines are 2.2 liter displacement.

I know plenty about cars. I know all the F22 engines are the 2.2L. I just don't know the little differences between the A1, A4, ETC ETC. I do not think there is a size difference. I was asking about the F20a and was wondering where the cubic inches are reduced.

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
              first...the second statement in your first paragraph COMPLETELY negates the first statement...a bad bottom end means the top is NOT in excellent shape. Might not be ruined or as bad as the bottom...but no excellent

I am sorry that my details in posting are not quite precise. I meant that aside from the bottom end of the engine being damaged, the rest of the vehicle is fine. Brakes, suspension, ETC.

second...this dude is wrong and doesn't know his cb7's very well. The difference between a1, a4, a6 is mostly intake manifold and ecu...some other stuff but the bottom ends are the same. The f22a6 does however have a windage tray and a slightly different oil pickup tube (both are better than the a1 and a4 setup) the a6 is the best of the variations, but to get the most potential put the tubular exhaust manifold from the a4 onto it.

Both he and I do not know CB7s very well, we have no reason to. He was only telling me what he read about, and I guess then he was misinformed. I have a good amount of general automotive experience, but no experience extensively on any one type of vehicle.

HOWEVER...in the end...you can use the bottom end from any cb7 engine on yours it will not matter. The blocks are the same (aside from those two parts that bolt onto the block)

All in all, we are just wondering what engine will directly bolt in. We don't want to really have to change much as it will be simply being used for A to B, it doesn't need anything special. So I'm wondering, could we in theory buy any F22 engine (A1, A2, A4) and it will bolt in? Or the F20A?

Thank you!

Comment

Yes, any F22A or F20A is a direct bolt-in. The blocks and mounts are identical on all F series motors (except the F20C and F22C). If I'm not mistaken, the F20A has a shorter stroke to make it a 2.0 instead of a 2.2. The differences between the A1, A4 and A6 are mostly external (different intake manifold, different exhaist manifold), but the A6 has a different cam as well. If you do the swap, just use your existing intake and exhaust manifolds and you will have no wiring issues...
                Originally posted by Junior Smurff
                Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

The JDM F20A SOHC (mentioned above) has an 88mm stroke instead of a 95 mm stroke, that's the only real diff, still 85mm bore, the shorter stroke drops it down to a 2.0. Would move the car just fine, just have alittle less torque, but would be able to rev higher.

Depending on funds and time, and maybe a willingness to mod alittle bit (H23a1?) you do have plenty of options.

As for the a1,a4,a6, that is the least of your worries right now, besides internals like a windage tray and camshaft, the rest is external bolt-ons and an ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
                    Yes, any F22A or F20A is a direct bolt-in. The blocks and mounts are identical on all F series motors (except the F20C and F22C). If I'm not mistaken, the F20A has a shorter stroke to make it a 2.0 instead of a 2.2. The differences between the A1, A4 and A6 are mostly external (different intake manifold, different exhaist manifold), but the A6 has a different cam as well. If you do the swap, just use your existing intake and exhaust manifolds and you will have no wiring issues...
                    Very good to know!

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                    The JDM F20A SOHC (mentioned above) has an 88mm stroke instead of a 95 mm stroke, that's the only real diff, still 85mm bore, the shorter stroke drops it down to a 2.0. Would move the car just fine, just have alittle less torque, but would be able to rev higher.

Depending on funds and time, and maybe a willingness to mod alittle bit (H23a1?) you do have plenty of options.

I wish! But I don't think that will be an option, unfortunately.

As for the a1,a4,a6, that is the least of your worries right now, besides internals like a windage tray and camshaft, the rest is external bolt-ons and an ecu.
                    Both very good to know guys, I really appreciate it. The car was well taken care of overall, but engines do wear out. I'm just looking to help my friend get the car rolling again.

Thanks much!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X