call me crazy - odb2 F23A4 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

call me crazy - odb2 F23A4 swap

I'm really considering dropping in a F23A4 (ULEV 6th gen accord engine) into my car and running it on the OBD2 ecu. I'm building my car for gas mileage and I really no longer care about performance. In my quest for good gas mileage why not help out the environment at the same time?

My H23A1 swap is done because of a cracked block and low mileage good condition F22's are hard to come by these days. Not so with 6th gen F23's.

The only thing I'm worried about really it getting the ecu to run all the interior items?
    1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
    01 DC4

Sounds like you have a few headaches in your near future. Goodluck on the conversion.

Comment

Im kinda dumb in this topic, but whats the hassle with OBD1 - OBD2 conversion?

my friend is running an OBD2 F20B and all his interior stuff is working fine.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
      Honda Accord Euro-R
      Honda Odyssey Absolute
      Honda City I-DSi
      Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335
        Im kinda dumb in this topic, but whats the hassle with OBD1 - OBD2 conversion?

my friend is running an OBD2 F20B and all his interior stuff is working fine.
        most people that run a OBD2 engine run a OBD1 ecu and just convert the engine to run OBD1...

I on the other hand want to run the OBD2 ecu.
        01 DC4

Comment

you could still chip it to run like its an obd-2 engine and there is less hassle with wiring and I think where youre going is a good idea so good luck with what ever you choose.
          F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
          My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
          Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Comment

I'm a bit worried now about getting the immobilizer in the ecu to work.

There are a few people I know of running more than one ecu. I wonder if I may need to end up doing this. off to do more research now.
            Last edited by nighthawk; 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM.
            01 DC4

Comment

Well the f23 has lots of extra sensors like cam position, crank position, knock sensor and so on, that you will have to run more wiring for. There is one member on here, CBAccordA4, that did the swap but couldn't get it to work.

I've wanted to do this swap with the f23 bottom end and the F22Ax topend. I figured it would be good for torque..
              Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I wouldn't really recommend doing it...main reason is I had a 98 sedan with the F23A1 non-ULEV engine in it. Was automatic and I did a manual conversion on it...had a bunch of problems with the wiring and ECU. And that was a simple auto to manual conversion. I switched to the manual ECU and used the manual harness, so there shouldn't have been a problem but I ended up having to rewire a bunch of crap and ultimately ended up wrecking the car, which I am still kicking myself for. Great engine though, if you can do it....just not many parts available for it. And the ULEV is going to be harder due to emissions equipment and such on it.
                VIP Status.

Comment

I actually had a 90 cb7 a few years back that I put a f23a1 in it. But I ran OBD1. The sensors wont be a problem because the engine will have the new harness and the engine harness actually plugs straight into the ECU.

I'm not worried about aftermarket parts, then engine is going to stay stock.

I know the wiring isn't going to be easy...but not much stuff is these days. I'll just consider it a challenge.
                  01 DC4

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=samuri88
                    ^= the man to talk to.

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                    My Ride thread
                    Flickr
                    Originally posted by d112crzy
                    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                    All I gotta really say is:
                    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

honestly, like I said I've done a F23A1 swap in a CB7 but its not going to be anything similar because of the OBD2 wiring.
                      01 DC4

Comment

U want better gas mileage and are going with a bigger motor?

My suggestion would be,

Get an F20A DOHC, get the head milled and slap on the H23 IM. Get a free flowing exhaust to minimize restrictions and you should get the best gas mileage.

Are you trying to save money? In that case don't do anything lol u will never recuperate the costs through saved gas. If anything, at best an H23 IM and milling your head will be the best bet.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                          U want better gas mileage and are going with a bigger motor?

My suggestion would be,

Get an F20A DOHC, get the head milled and slap on the H23 IM. Get a free flowing exhaust to minimize restrictions and you should get the best gas mileage.

Are you trying to save money? In that case don't do anything lol u will never recuperate the costs through saved gas. If anything, at best an H23 IM and milling your head will be the best bet.
                          I dont have a motor right now. So obviously I have to buy something. Bigger motors dont neccesarily mean less fuel economy. It's all about torque to keep the car moving and what RPM's its pulling on the highway. The VTEC will help.
                          01 DC4

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk
                            I dont have a motor right now. So obviously I have to buy something. Bigger motors dont neccesarily mean less fuel economy. It's all about torque to keep the car moving and what RPM's its pulling on the highway. The VTEC will help.
                            this is somewhat true , unless their hp an tq numbers are close to each other then the mpg's will be better on the smaller engine... an if ur tryin to improve ur mpg's ur vtec should'nt be opening counting that it opens at 4400 rpm? you wudnt want to be shifting that high when ur trying to save gas ....
                            jus my $0.02
                            I sell slightly used tires for cheap, jus pm me what u need!

Hp sells cars, Tq wins races ....
                            - 95 Camaro (beast) TOTALED
                            - 92 Camaro RS (fixer-upper) SOLD
                            -92 Accord LX (slammed) SOLD
                            - 95 Jetta (VR-SEX) CURRENT DD

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk

gloryaccord's idea i believe is better because the engine he mentioned will most likely flow easier since it has around the same hp&tq numbers yet it has a much better intake an exhaust flow! an then of course the tranny has a HUGE effect. a long geared tranny will probably be ur best friend, youll have less accelaration, but on the highway youll cruise in low RPM's even at higher speeds.
                              I sell slightly used tires for cheap, jus pm me what u need!

Hp sells cars, Tq wins races ....
                              - 95 Camaro (beast) TOTALED
                              - 92 Camaro RS (fixer-upper) SOLD
                              -92 Accord LX (slammed) SOLD
                              - 95 Jetta (VR-SEX) CURRENT DD

Comment

Working...
                              X