Running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lean

got my car somewhat tuned today. it was running way lean throughout, so they put in a regulator, and it helped. but especially when going into vtec, it ran way too lean. do i just need bigger injectors or could it be anything else?

btw, when i put the car on, it was only pushing 120whp. they got it to 180.1 after a little tuning, but it was still running like shit because of lack of fuel. vtec was set way up at 6k, and when it hit there was a huge dip before it shot up.

im going back saturday to get some new injectors put in, so hopefully thatll fix everything.

in a way, injectors wouldnt cause u to run lean....

damn they really tuned ur car! im thinking maybe this should be in the perforamnce tech area....o well fizz knows this stuff...he will respond. he is a god.

i have ideas but i dotn want to speculate if i dont know too much...give it to me for a month and ill tell u whats wrong lOLz.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

well thanks anyways.

i put it here, since it had to do with my swap. btw, i have crower stage2 cams & valvetrain. which is why the engine is more fuel hungry.

Comment

what area are u in? im the sacramento area..any chance ur near me?
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

im a little south in san jose.

Comment

oo...dude then ur not in NORCAL haha..

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
              vtec crossover seems high even with those cams.......and by running lean, what air fuel ratio are you talking about.....lean makes more power, so adding fuel to a lean mixture will cause you to lose power.......but you obviously don't wanna be too lean......your stock injectors should be fine with those cams....the h22a is so rich in stock form, leaning it out is a big help......that's why you can plug in the p72 ecu and get more TOP END power, because the mixture leans out and makes that extra power (bad idea though until it's chipped for the h22a)........we need more info and a dyno plot with air/fuel readings if possible....did they hook up a wideband o2
              they didnt set it at that for performance purposes. it was just so i wouldnt hit it cause it leaned out in vtec. they didnt bother printing out a graph cause i gotta go back anyways, and they seemed sure in telling me i need injectors. but before i went out and got new ones, they were gonna put on another set of prelude injectors, thinking maybe something could be faulty with the ones that came with the engine.

i noticed the afr bar onscreen when they were dynoing the first time... and it was all into the red the entire time. after they put in the regulator it got better and was into the yellow. but when vtec hit, it dipped about half way into the red again.

what else could be the problem, or is it hard to tell without a graph?

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                oo...dude then ur not in NORCAL haha..
                haha, yea not really. but ive gotten used to saying that cause a friend of mine lives in LA. so in comparison, im northern.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                  well without actual number to use, who knows.....at the vtec crossover, it will dip anyway.......if they're replacing parts to fix something, then it could get expensive......not a good way to diagnose fuel system problems.....could be as simple as dirty injectors.....probably wouldn't hurt to get a 255gph walbro too...that old accord pump is ok, but OLD....in case you haven't
                  yea i already got a new pump and then the regulator today. theyre not going to charge for putting in the other set of prelude injectors, so im hoping it will be something simple that like. next time i go, ill ask them to print out a graph.

Comment

Hey Fizzbob

im going back to the shop tomm, and i wanted to go there with options in mind, so im not just ok'ing whatever they tell me. what are some other possibilites other than dirty injectors?

and thanks for all the help.

Comment

What has been the outcome? There was a serious fuel issue from the start. 120 HP baseline is a HUGE indication something is wrong. When you did your swap, what fuel rail/line combination did you use? The injectors (even if) F22, would make more power than your base.

Comment

i actually havent had time to do it yet. they didnt have injectors in stock like thought, so some new prelude ones were ordered. theyre here now, but i probably wont go in until the weekend. the rail used was stock off the prelude.

Comment

Is your H22 a JDM engine? If so, and if you still have your F22, take the fuel rail off of it and put it on the h22. Use the stock Accord fuel line as well. I have a feeling that there is a problem with your fuel line extension going to the Prelude fuel rail. Again that is if the JDM fuel rail was used.

Comment

yea it is jdm. a 93 to be exact. and i went today, and yeay!! the old injectors were bad. got the new ones in and at first it didnt run at all. i dont have a gauge, and they had the regulator all the way up to compensate for the past injector problem. he said since it was maxed it was probably somewhere up around 90psi. now with it tuned way down and a little messing around with the vafc it runs nicely. i can actually feel the difference eventhough it hasnt been properly tuned yet.

i used to get a little 1-2 chirp. now i get a big one, and i also chrip 2-3 now. the act grips very well for being a stock replacement.

im going in next week to get tuned. im waiting because the shop is getting me a p72 and they already have a h22 program for it. i kinda doubt it, but im hoping for very close to 200whp, if not 200. i figure its possible with good tuning because i got 180 and it was running like shit with bad injectors and a stock p13.

Comment

Working...
                            X