Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

255/35/18 with 0.5" spacer on 18x8 Gram Lights

Please dont flame

I want to go with 255/35/18 tires on all 4 corners on +40 18" Gram light rims, I will need to use a Half inch spacer so i do not rub the inners, I will also need to do some heavy bodywork to flare out the fenders and the 1/4 panels, thats not a problem i work at a bodyshop. You might ask why i want to do this, one reason is traction, im going turbo soon and wider tires do have better traction, the other reason is better handling. I might not go with the 18" might go with the 17" because of the weight.

Now my concern is this, how fast am i gonna be going thru wheel bearings? And what other problems might i run into. The rims are about 17lbs for the 17's and 20lbs each for the 18's. Tires are about 18lbs each for 17s and 22lbs each for 18's. Total weight on each wheel is 42lbs for 18's and 35lbs for 17's.

Thanks for any input
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Anyone any input?
    1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Comment

we dont really know..i have 18's on 215/40's, but im not spacered out any at all. they're 42 positive offset..and rub the fender lips some in the rear especially. also..they rub on the inner fenders in the front..so you're still gonna have problems..it's gonna be like a SLAB..not really a great turning radius at all..

Comment

I have 225/40/18s right now, no rubbin on outer lips, and inner front was rubbing when turning, but a bit of bashing in and everything is good now, nothing rubs at all, the rear has about 2mm clearence from the outer lip, im not worried about the lips or inner rubbing, only worried about how quick things are gonna break, 255s gonna be really hard on the wheel bearings? or not much harder then 225?

Comment

idk man..1/2" doesnt seem like that much of a difference..when you think about it..i'm guessing that you're going to have the inside of the tire at the same place it would be..so that would just give you some width ont he outside, and the weight would be settling 1/2" further out. idk. try it...that's all i can say..i dont think anyone else has gone that extreme. also..how low are you? i dont see how you can not rub with 225 tires on 18s. i rubbed all the time before i added a spring spacer on the rear springs.

Comment

i have no finger gap in front or rear in fact the rear used to be tucked in about half an inch so was the front, and didnt rub, just see where it rubs and take a hammer to it bash it in

Comment

Wider tires does not necessarily mean more traction then narrower tires (straighaway-wise). There are other methods to gaining better traction/handling that may be more efficient (ie mounts, traction bars, tires, sway/strut bars). And I'm sure you know the CB is FWD. But if you have your heart set on widening your car then more power to you.

Comment

I have everything you mentioned to help gain more traction, I know it doesnt mean more traction necessarly, but it doesnt mean i'll get less traction either plus i am pretty sure it will be the first CB with 255's all around and flared fenders and 1/4 panels. I know that for handling weight of the wheels makes a difference, but im sure the extra width of the tires will compensate more then enough for the weight of wider rim/tire.

If not i want to hear it, this is why i made this thread so i can get as much input as possible and opinions Thank you!

Comment

You have got to do this so i can see pics. I have some weird fetish for wide tires i guess...

Comment

So i have been thinking about this more and more, and i really want to do it, i have not got an answer as far as what kind of stress am i gonna be putting on the wheel bearings and axles/tranny? Is it gonna be that much more then my 225's?

My other problem i have is im gonna use 0.5" spacer so the tires dont rub the inner fender, however since the tire is now 1" wider, am i gonna be rubbing the front/rear of the fender when i turn in parking lots? or will it stay the same as right now, i can turn the wheel all the way to the left and right without any rubbing. Im gonna have to do some measurements, 1" isnt much, if it is gonna rub anywhere i will just take a hammer to that certain spot and bash it in 1" Buying rims/tires soon! Puttin them on and doing the bodywork around it, first ever fender flared CB7?

Comment

I think you will be ok as far ass wheel bearings go. They can take an awful lot of abuse. My but ae86 had 0 offset konig rewinds that i put on for fun and while there was no way i could drive like that, it looked rad! I think if all the body work is done right it will look killer. The only negative is along with torque steer from turbo, your car may have a tendency to follow ruts in the road a little more than before.

Comment

Working...
                      X