Widest rim/tire on 16"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widest rim/tire on 16"?

I'm thinking of buying new rims for this summer but would like to know if i'm going to run any problems with with the wheels. I've always had 15" rims on my car and now thinking about 16" with 205/50 tires. Will those fit without any issues? I was also thinking about 17" but those are harder to find. What's the widest rim/tire that would go without problems with 16" rims?

It depends on the width of the rim, not the diameter.

Comment

I know your asking about 205-50 but i have 205-55 on my prelude blades (oem wheel) and it only rubs when i turn hard into a parking lot... just a little though so the 205-50 should be fine

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
      When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Ok, thanks! I'm not sure about the widht cause it hasn't been informed. Also on the other rims the offset would be 44 which should go well even if lowered, right? So you've got orig. prelude rims on accord? Just checking cause one of those rims i'm looking are prelude's oem rims. And i'm not trying to put the widest tire/rim what's possible but to know what is in my specs.

Comment

iv'e seen some people stretch wheel's but don't know how that hold up

Comment

+44 offset should be fine.

People don't stretch wheels, they stretch tires.

205/55 should be fine. I've run a 215 width before. As visualpoet said, the width of the wheel is what will matter regarding the tire width. If you're running a really wide wheel, then 205 would be stretching (I don't think they make a wheel wide enough to stretch that... not that would fit our cars, that is.) If it was a really narrow wheel, then the 205 would be bulging over the sides... I don't think they make wheels that skinny for our cars either... so you really should have nothing to worry about.

As for the 50, remember... the taller the tire, the more protection you have for your wheels, and the softer your ride will be. I would go for a 55 aspect ratio, as JaberCB7 mentioned. 50 won't be bad, but given the choice, i'd take 55.

Comment

Not to jack the thread or anything but to get some examples out what would be the ideal tire size for rim protection, performance, and realiablity, and overall "style" for these wheel sizes:

16x7
              16x7.5
              16x8
              16x8.5
              16x9

Just gives us a better idea of what fits what well.
              Current:
              2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
              1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
              1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

id say you can fit a 16x8 if the offset is correct and you may need some negative camber.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                  Not to jack the thread or anything but to get some examples out what would be the ideal tire size for rim protection, performance, and realiablity, and overall "style" for these wheel sizes:

16x7
                  16x7.5
                  16x8
                  16x8.5
                  16x9

Just gives us a better idea of what fits what well.
                  Thanks for nice post! No need to get 16x9 rims but it's nice to know the variety.

Comment

i've ran 225/50 on the rear only on my 15s, 205/50s on the front no problem

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

Working...
                    X