Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mirror polishing wheels with slight curb rash and oxidation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror polishing wheels with slight curb rash and oxidation...

I have 2 sets of wheels that I'm working on. OEM 6 spokes (10th AE and 93 EX coupe wheels) and a set of Enkei RS6.

The OEM wheels have slight curb rash. Not horrible, but it's there. I sanded some of it down, and now I'm left with a dull spot. Would I be best just to use aircraft stripper to remove all clear, and polish from there? What sort of paper and or compound would be best to use?
    Also, the center caps are plastic, but the cover of them is aluminum. I want to polish that to match as well!

If it doesn't work out, I plan to powder coat them.

Now for the RS6s. They were my friend's, and I'm buying them whenever I can. They've been in my dank basement for a long time now, and the polished lips are all oxidized.

I'll get some pics up soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

here's a pretty good thread on it.
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1259115

i would say that you would have to remove all the clearcoat rather than one spot or it will never look right. also, i have seen the center caps polished. as you stated, they're plastic with a shhet of aluminum on top. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Awesome. I knew you'd be the first to reply I almost just PMed you instead.

Comment

I would use the brushable aircraft stripper to strip them, that way you can lay on a thick coat and take most of the clear off in one shot. I tried the spray can of aircraft stripper and it took me several tries to completely strip the clear.

http://www.englishcustompolishing.co...aluminum1.html
        some good tips there^
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
        X