seizing caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seizing caliper

i'm pretty sure this is my caliper seizing, or partially seizing up, but i wanted a little insight first. when i'm driving i can hear a drag from the front right wheel, even when i'm not on the brakes. it's not a constant drag, but it's more in intervals, depending on how fast i am going. it's a metal on metal sort of sound, which i have pretty much concluded to be the pad dragging on the rotor and squeaking. now, will this be a symptom of bad pads, or a seized caliper?

if its a screeching, then it means your pad could be worn down to the wear indicator, meaning you should change them out NOW before it puts a gouge into the rotor thats unfixable.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I've had my pads wear down before, but it was never a constant screech, it was only when I applied the brakes. in this case, the screeching is constant

Comment

check the pins on the bracket, a lot of people never lube those and eventually they seize
        Members Ride

Comment

sounds like a siezed caliper
          start taking stuff apart. youll find out whats up.
          .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Originally posted by Dom
            sounds like a siezed caliper
            start taking stuff apart. youll find out whats up.

i'll take it apart in the morning. if it's seized, the piston will not compress correct?

Comment

Man i got this same problem... everything was good, then i did a 105-0mph stop on the race track. when i went to leave after the car had sat the right front was dragging bad, constant squeaking that would sometimes lessen over bumps.

Car just went in the garage and i haven't had the time to look with all my school work. ill keep ya posted see if its similar problems, my pads where getting low but i though they could handle a light day, but i think that red flag ate what was left of them.
              Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Working...
              X