Rotor split in half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor split in half

Friday I was driving to work when I heard a mettalic bang, then a rattling, and when I wnt to stop I had very little braking power. When I looked to see what had happened, my front driver's side rotor had split straight down the middle of the slots.
    When I went to work on it yesterday, (just gonna replace front and rear rotors and pads) after I took off the drivers' side knuckle off, I couldn't seperate the hub from the knuckle. Yes, I searched on here, read the multiple DIY's on this, and read my Hayne's and Chilton's manuals. Nothing worked.
    On the passenger side, the spindle nut would not come off. I unstaked it, sprayed it, and it wouldn't budge. I used a breaker with a 3/4 inch driver and an inch thick steel bar, with a six foot pipe on the end of it, with a five foot steel crowbar though the studs to keep the rotor from turning. I went so far as to STAND on the pipe and bounce up and down and it didn't budge. The amount of torque on it bent the breaker a little and flexed the crowbar so much I thought it would snap. I got frustrated and took a reciprocating saw and a hand sledge and chisel to it and cut off over 60% of the nut. Still won't come off. So I took off the knuckle and drive shaft together.
    So does anybody have any other suggestions before I take the two sides to a machine shop tomorrow?

do you not have an air compressor? thats what i used and it worked......without much effort i might add.........
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    4.0L I-6 2WD
    293k miles, still running strong.
    Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by CoPilot1
      do you not have an air compressor? thats what i used and it worked......without much effort i might add.........
      Nope... don't know anybody with one, either, 'cept for local shops.

Comment

that sux....i guess just take it to the shop and let them break it loose. my engine hoist and air compressor were the 2 best investments in the garage BY FAR!!!!
        1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
        4.0L I-6 2WD
        293k miles, still running strong.
        Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

I was in the same situation, couldnt for the life of me get the axle nut off,even with a 8 ft metal post.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

same, needed to go down to a wheel shop to have it blasted off.

as for seperation, you even tried the longer bolt type trick?
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yep, tried that, banged on them for over an hour total. Nothing.

Comment

Well, Monday I got the spindle nut cut off and the rotors pressed off. Cost me $160, plus I had to get a passenger side drive shaft because the outer cv boot was ripped and I can't stand replacing those boots, I'd rather just get a new drive shaft. Plus I think I messed up the spindle trying to cut the nut off. So that cost me another $60. The machine shop finished the rotors too late for me to put the car back together, and I had to work all day Tuesday, so I put the knuckles and drive shaft on the car on Wednesday. Everything went back on fine and the brakes work fine now (no more steering wheel shake when braking) but after I had tested it another issue came up that I'll have to post other than in this subforum.

Comment

Working...
                X