Brakes feel spongy after new pads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes feel spongy after new pads...

I changed my fronts today and they're mushy...I pressed the pedal during the process when the brake fluid reservoir was open (to suck the piston back in, I dunno why)...could that have done it? What can I do to pick up the slack?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Hopefully your master cylinder did not go bad. Did on mine right after a brake job. My theory is that the pressure of the fluid going back in when the caliper pistons are pushed back in may be too much for some of the older MC's. Anyway, they felt soft at first, and then the pedal just started traveling all the way down at intervals. Changed the MC and it was back to new.

Just an FYI

X

Comment

Shit man I hope I don't need a new MC, homeboy is BROKE right now. I drove it about an hour ago and I don't remember it being good or bad; I forgot to take note of the brakes...but I guess if they didn't get my attention they're back to normal.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

dude, careful..

my other car's mc started to go bad after just a complete fluid change. i had already felt it going bad, but i guess the new fluid just raped it.

my pedal would hold the car, and after a few secons the pedal would dip a bit, and u could hear the pads just not holding the discs enough. hella scary.. u should be careful..that got me so paranoid now...
        hahahahah

Comment

bleed your brakes.
          lifes better in a wagon.

Comment

I got the same problem. Shits is scary on hot days! Im replacing my MC so hopefully mine gets fixed.

Comment

i replaced my MC and it didnt help...i think it is my brake booster...OHNOES!
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Same problem. New pads, spongy pedal and goes to the floor.

And now I smell burnt brakes and got a killer vibe at 50mph braking!

Comment

if ur pedal goes to the floor u got air, if it just feels spongy it can be the pad or that the pad hasnt broken in yet.

heat the pad up by going on the freeway holding the brakes lightly to heat em up and then roll normally then heat em up again and then get off the freeway and u should feel a difference in brake pedal feel.

sometimes it takes a while, but u need to break in the pads.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

It's been a week since I replaced my pads, and about 30 miles of highway driving. Something's not right.

Comment

when i connected my brake lines to the MC, i made sure that they were on real good, and i think they are TIGHT, i didn't wanan strip it.

then i bled, but perhaps i didn't do a good job bleeding cuz sometimes the pedal dips. but this isn't the first time that i've bled. im curious if it could be my brake fittings not fitting correctly and thus allowing 'air' to go in?? i hand threaded it and made sure it was on then torqued them in REAL GOOD. anyhow i'll take pics and i'll bleed again to see if that's the prob.
                      hahahahah

Comment

i got my front breaks work on and had to have a new break master cylinder, it was only like 60 bucks for a nisin performance oem, and now they work like a charm!

Check Out My Car

Comment

Originally posted by xtr91accord
                          i got my front breaks work on and had to have a new break master cylinder, it was only like 60 bucks for a nisin performance oem, and now they work like a charm!
                          that is cheap as hell...even w/ discount, mine was 100 i think

oh and it is brakes...break is something that is broken
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

My brakes are fine now...I just got rear pads today, hopefully that goes well too...

Comment

i just changed the front pads on my car too and the pedal felt really squshy. i bleed them and it feels like i have the same stopping power as i did before i changed them...hopefully they break in

Comment

Working...
                              X