Brakes on 4gen w/h22a swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes on 4gen w/h22a swap.

I've noticed that my front brake pads are getting worn out quicker and my rotors are getting warped. I'm thinking about getting aftermarket slotted and cross drilled rotors with Honda stock brake pads. Has anyone had any problems with their rotors or brake pads after they swapped in their H22a or any other engine?

Either Brembo Slotted & Cross Drilled or AEM Slotted Big Brake Kit.
    Stolen out of Circuit City Parking Lot :
    *RIP*
    1993 Accord EX Coupe
    1995 JDM H22a w/LSD Auto

New love of my life:
    1993 Accord EX Coupe
    Jet Black w/Tan Leather Interior
    JDM H22A w/5 spd H22A Tranny
    I love it when VTEC kicks in!
    vroommmm...*VTEC*...VROOMMMMMM!

Do you have discs brakes in the front and rear drums or discs? I have ABS w/4 disc brakes.
    *RIP*
    1993 Accord EX Coupe
    1995 JDM H22a w/LSD Auto

New love of my life:
    1993 Accord EX Coupe

Comment

I have to change mine as well.
      The h22a get's me going fast, but nothing it there to stop me.
      I'm gona be doing the legend caliper / v6 rotor swap here in a few months.

Comment

My driving style has changed somewhat after my swap.

When the Vtec kicks in and the engine roars,
        my heart rate goes up and my brake pedals drop to the floor!

Everyone turns their head to my direction, :booty:
        they ask me to pop my hood for an inspection!

I tell them, "no, you have to race her!" :rice:
        And in my rear view mirror they're just a blur!

So come one, come all.
        And view the H22a in AWWWWW!!!!
        *RIP*
        1993 Accord EX Coupe
        1995 JDM H22a w/LSD Auto

New love of my life:
        1993 Accord EX Coupe

Comment

Sorry about that...I was inspired by my accord. She sounds soo great and shes so purdy! I love her!
          *RIP*
          1993 Accord EX Coupe
          1995 JDM H22a w/LSD Auto

New love of my life:
          1993 Accord EX Coupe

Comment

i have a set of AEM OE Caliper big brake kit for sale if you're interested. the rotors are BRAND NEW from AEM.

i had used the kit for 6 months, but ended up warping the rotors because of a bad master brake cylinder (cheap aftermarket replacement). so under warranty, AEM bolted new rotors on the hats.
            Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

Originally posted by usc
              i have a set of AEM OE Caliper big brake kit for sale if you're interested. the rotors are BRAND NEW from AEM.
              Be sure to post your items in our Classifieds; you'll get alot of hits there

Comment

I heard from a friend that AEM big brake kit the rotors warp? That true?

* Assuming your brake system works properly and all*
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                  I heard from a friend that AEM big brake kit the rotors warp? That true?

* Assuming your brake system works properly and all*
                  AEM bbk aren't indestructible. even Brembo GT brake rotors can warp (yes i've warped mine once already). but yet i digress.

the AEM rotors are just like stock, except bigger. so bigger means there's more metal and acts as a better heat sink. the x-drill holes should offer slightly cooler operations but if you work them hard enough and do not cool them down properly, then yes, they can and will warp.
                  Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                    exactly...even racecar setups can and do warp.......brakes produce tons of heat.....cross drilled/gas slotted just aid in the process that helps cool them and keeps gas from building up in between the pad/rotor (brake fade), but none of it is fail proof....push them hard enough, and you'll eventually overwork anything....overtightening lugnuts can cause more heat too, and contribute to problems
                    Heck yea!! On a stock setup for a Sable stationwagon, some b**ch putting on new tires overtorqued the lugnuts and warped our rotors! The love using that impact gun....d**basses. This holds especially true to those with rotors that drop off as soon as tire comes off.

Just an idea....another plus to help cooling rotors would be brake ducts in your front bumper bodykit if ya have one...make it functional, not just for looks
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

would brake part from a h22a prelude vtec work on my 90 lx accord? my 15 year old rotor is going an I more stoping power without breaking a bank. it too cold to work on the car and I don't have a gargage so I have to let a local shop do this. my budget is $400 for 2 new powerslot rotor/2piston caliber from the prelude vtec and hope to cover the install cost..

any1 has gone with this way? any bad and good with this setup,
                      Last edited by blazen_accord; 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM.
                      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

You could use the stock accord rotors. Just upgrade to some SS brake lines and better pads you will notice the stopping distance decrease. Im still running stock Braking system on my H22 accord. It fades a lil sometimes but its worked so far but planning to swap out for SS lines and better brake pads in the near future.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

warping of brake rotors can be easily prevented.
                          if your brakes are hot, and you leave your foot on the brake pedal while stopped, the pads push onto one spot on the hot rotors, and they warp.
                          So, if you haul your car down from 100-0mph in 3 seconds, or brake all the way down a long hill, try not to come to a complete stop.
                          Brake early and keep rolling a little until the traffic moves.

On my last track session, my brakes got so hot they were smoking, and the rotors are still as true as the day i bought them. This is because, when i finished my lapping session, i would park the car, shut it off, put it in gear, and leave the e-brake off. Putting the e-brake on while your brakes are hot will also warp your brakes.

Although, this may be a little harder to do with an automatic because it always wants to creep.
                          CB7 + H22A4 + M2S4 + JDM P13

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

just had a closer look when I put back on my snow tire/rim that my driver side rotor is slighly cracked honda oem I think. the break petal pulse a bit now when I brake and I have an automatic. I am thinking either powerslot rotor or Brembo oem blank rotor no drill stuff i will crack them. now about the calibur any 2 postion that is a direct fit without any mod needed? I will try to get some ss line but they are more expensive then the rotor and pad combine.. where you get the cheapest price for them? and would EBC red stuff good? i been using AEm pad... even through my oem say ^^^ which is akobono calibur i still have to grind my aem pad for akobono calibur a liltle to fit it on the caliber. any1 else have this problem?
                            90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                            < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
                              would brake part from a h22a prelude vtec work on my 90 lx accord? my 15 year old rotor is going an I more stoping power without breaking a bank. it too cold to work on the car and I don't have a gargage so I have to let a local shop do this. my budget is $400 for 2 new powerslot rotor/2piston caliber from the prelude vtec and hope to cover the install cost..

any1 has gone with this way? any bad and good with this setup,
                              the rotor wont fit. there was no 2 piston caliper on the prelude VTEC . . . well at least the models that we would care about (93-96). that had a large one piston caliper used on the ITR and accord wagon. just get some stock accord rotors, have them pressed on and get some good pads

OR

get some accord wagon rotors, and use accord wagon calipers as well. bigger brakes on a budget.
                              -Mark-
                              CB7
                              CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                              Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X