Rotor replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor replacement.

I got my slotted & drilled Brembo front rotors today, along with some Axxis Original Deluxe pads. I'm planning on installing them in the morning, and I want to check with the more knowledgable folk here on how to go about doing it.

I know I need to disconnect the battery, and do something to the airbag so it doesn't deploy... Chilton's told me that much. Of course they have 4 diagrams, and cryptic instructions dealing with 5 models...

I just need to know if there is anything I need to look out for. I don't want to get my rotors off and find that I can't get anything back on!

fizz, i think you mean "hub-over-rotor." 90-97 accords come stock w/ hub-over-rotor for the front. so chances are, you don't have the necessary tools required to remove the rotor so it's best to take it to a shop.
    Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

Thanks guys.

According to my Chilton's manual, it's necessary to disable the airbag system before attempting to do brake work. It seemed odd to me, but I guess they know what they're talking about...

I think I will let a shop do the work. It might cost a little, but it'll cost a lot less than it would if I screwed something up!

For now, I'll limit myself to power window motors and speakers (which I just learned how to do today! )

I'm learning... slowly, but I'm learning.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
        yep, retardation owns me
        Thats how I feel about trying to replace my rotors by myself.
        My cars mess up and on jacks now. when i tried to get the hub off the knuckle part of the bearing seperated. So now i can see the bearings on the kuckle now. I don't know what to do now

I think i also messed up the boots that go on the tie rod, and the lower ball joint, and I cant get the hub off of the rotor because when i try to take the bolts off the rotor spins in my hands
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of the back of the rotor with the hub attached
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok! A shop it is then!
            Pugnare, I hope you manage to get things back together! Thank you for showing me what I could have gotten myself into (and therefore saving me!)

Comment

Originally posted by Deevergote
              Ok! A shop it is then!
              Pugnare, I hope you manage to get things back together! Thank you for showing me what I could have gotten myself into (and therefore saving me!)
              yeah, my poor car doesn't like me right now

Comment

My axles are going now too, so I'm going to just take the whole thing into a shop when I get the axles and have em do it all... brakes, 250 hp axles, and whatever else might need doing

I was going to get my wheels aligned this week... I guess I'm kinda taking the long way around to that!

Comment

haha its been awhile and I have finally finished the first side. I broke a lot of parts and ended up having to spend a lot of money getting everything back together. I ruined both ball joints. The one that connects to the knuckle and then the one that connects to the upper control arm. I also had to get a new wheel bearing pressed on the hub, and some how broke the axle. So my car is finally sitting on two wheels again. Im going to try and wake up early tommorow to start working on the other side. Now I know what not to do so hopefully I will be able to finish it without to much trouble and replacing a lot of parts.

I have been car less for this whole project, but my friend went home for thanksgiving so now I get to drive his supped up maxima. deffinatly fun to drive

Comment

All you guys should have seriously done it by doing the hub over rotor way. I isnt hard, since you throw away that whole disk assembly and put in a new one. And from then on, its hella easier. You also are saving ALOT of money doing it that way.
                    http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...&threadid=1177

thats all you will need to know.
                    as an example, I got a quote from a local place that I had used for repairs that I did not want to do. They quoted me 600 on replacing front rotors and pads and bearings on my 91. I was like there is no way. So by shopping around, I replaced: tie rod ends, master cylinder, AEM pads, 99 cl 2.3 rotors, 99 cl 2.3 hubs, 91 accord bearings, accord calipers all for around 450 when I did it myself.

The only parts you NEED to complete rotor over hub are:
                    99 cl 2.3 hubs
                    99 cl 2.3 rotors
                    91 bearings(if yours is in bad condition...easier to replace this so you dont have to try and get the old one off)
                    The four screws(two for each side) that hold the rotors on.
                    And you should use new pads(for your car) since you are changing the rotor.

Comment

Working...
                    X