Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what am i supposed to do with my bumpstops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what am i supposed to do with my bumpstops?

ive heard of people cutting them in 1/4 or 1/2 in.
    but there have also been others who have left them alone.

getting my tein basic coilovers installed next week, so what am i supposed to do with the bumpstops?

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

dice in half or you'll have a hard ride.

Comment

i only left like 1/4 of mine
      Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
      Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
      Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
      Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

You're supposed to take the bumpstops out after install...otherwise your springs can't compress.

I've heard of guys putting them in to "stiffen" their ride...ricer suspension...

didn't think there was any reason to leave 'em in though.
        Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM.
        ____

Comment

see, this is the problem im getting
          everyone is giving me different views on this and im not sure what to do with the bumpstops.
          someone else told me

"You can probably just leave them. Since it's a complete package I'm sure Tein engineered their bumpstops to keep their shocks from bottoming out. I had to cut mine for my Eibach springs but then agian I was using stock shocks."

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

It depends how low you are going.

USUALLY, if you lower less than 2", you can probably get away with it. For instance, according to Neuspeed, their sports are designed to work with the stock bumpstops. I would probably trim a little off anyway, but that is me.

With the Race springs, if you don't cut them, then you ride around on your bumpstops all day and it rides like crap. People think I am nuts when I tell them that a properly setup Neuspeed race suspension will tuck tire AND ride almost as good as stock. But Neuspeed doesn't tell you to cut them here, because they probably don't want the liability.

Personally, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Or, when you pull the suspension apart, look and see how much travel you will have left with the car lowered AND the whole bumpstop there. If it is 2" or less, I would consider cutting them back about .5-1". The bumpstop is seriously like 4-5" long, so you should still be safe.

Rayray's car tucked tire and drug the exhaust on the ground, but NEVER bottomed on the suspension. We cut his about 1" or so, if I remember correctly, maybe a little more.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

hmmm...so on LOWERING springs is where the bumps stops matter?

I was always told you remove them...and I've seen guys use them to "stiffen" their suspension.

Is it just lowering springs that you are supposed to use them to alter ride height? Or is this something you do even on performance coil overs?
              ____

Comment

i cut mines in half when i installed the neuspeed sports springs on kyb gr-2 struts.
                my daily driver. (AOM June 2010)

"she may not look like much, but she's got it were it counts kid. Made a lot of special modifications myself."
                MR page

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=76111

Comment

isnt it bad to cut the bump stops?
                  just like how you're not supposed to cut your springs

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

The shop that did my prelude completely removed the bump stops. Had I owned the car when it was lowered I would have killed them. My springs (eibach prokit) are too soft for no bump stops. I don't want to kill a koni.

I'm going to rip appart the suspension in the spring and install Energy Suspension bumpstops. They're shorter than stock and a bit stiffer so you don't have to worry about cutting them, but they still protect well.

Every guy I know in the prelude world with a 92-01 prelude has cut their bump stops in thirds, thrown away the middle, and kept the 2 outter pieces. Works well that way.

Comment

Originally posted by b3nsonx
                      isnt it bad to cut the bump stops?
                      just like how you're not supposed to cut your springs
                      the bump stop is there to bump against the top of the suspension system when it compresses fully; this prevents everything from bottoming out and damaging your damper.

No, it is not bad to cut the bumpstop. As long as you have some material left, it will act as a bumper instead of your damper. The bump stop should not act as a spring, if it does, it means your spring is too soft for the amount of shock travel you have. With a 2" drop, its best to allow for maximum shock travel, this way your ride will be more comfortable.

Bouncing off the bumpstop is not a fun way to drive, your entire body will actually hurt after one ride...believe me...I've tried.
                      DEVOTE

Comment

so how about for my situation?
                        tein basic coilovers and im going for a 1.75-2.00 inch drop all around.
                        havent decided on the drop amount yet.
                        What do you guys think i should do?

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

wait a sec i was supposed to cut my bumpstops hmmmm lol i never did and its not that bad of ride at all lol but ill probably cut em in the spring see how it is then

edit:nvm lol i bougth a full coilover kit haha

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                          1992 Accord EX Coupe
                          My FS Thread
                          Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

this is the response i got from tein

"Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension
                            products.
                            All TEIN coilovers include bump stops installed on the piston shaft
                            from our
                            facility. Bumpstops are designed to keep the suspension from exceeding
                            its
                            intended stroke, and to keep the vehicle from bottoming out. We would
                            strongly recommend leaving the bumpstop intact on all of our coilover
                            kits.
                            Removal of any components would void the warranty and could be a
                            potential
                            safety hazard. For further information regarding TEIN products and for
                            a
                            list of authorized dealers in your area, please visit www.tein.com. If
                            you
                            have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
                            us at
                            your convenience.

Best regards,

TEIN Sales Team"

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

i got tein basic coilovers and i left my bump stops in and its a good ride and i also have them as low as they go.

Comment

Working...
                              X