Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHAT suspension set-up are you running? And how would you rate it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

function form type one's 10/10

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
      1993 Honda Accord EX coupe (manual)
      Bridgestone Potenza 960AS Pole Position Tires
      Stock 15" 6 Star EX Alloys
      Autolife Function & Form Type I Coilovers

I'm at about a 2" drop in the front, and about 1.5" in the rear. Car sits very nice with a slight tilt/slant with emphasis toward the front of the vehicle. I also have lots of room to raise or lower it if I decide to for different reasons. Also, they are very user friendly and easy to install.

Ride quality: I say about a 7.75/10. Reasoning. I live in Philadelphia where certain places have huge potholes, bumps, and dips (they become a lil' uncomfortable, but manageable). Other than that, they are comfortable. More comfortable than the blown stock/struts that I was on. The ride isn't really harsh unless you hit a big pothole or speed bump. If you have smooth roads, it'll feel like you're riding on a brand new stock suspension set-up.

Stiffness: I give it about an 8.25/10. I'm sure there are stiffer set-ups out there. This ones suits me for my aggressive daily driving. My car will be tracked eventually. I can take on/off ramps will minimal body roll at very high speeds, and my car changes lanes almost instantaneously when I want it to (very smoothly too).

Edit: One additional item that wasn't mentioned. They can have a tad bit/very little amount of bounciness. Not much, and very subtle. You'll notice it's there, but not irritating.

I say overall: 8/10.
      Wow! I'm actually quoting myself. Not really though. I just want to reiterate and reinforce a few things.

After letting them settle for about a month or so, they've become quite comfortable on these sometimes really harsh mean Philly streets.

The slight bounce I mentioned before is gone, and for the most part, the dampening is excellent (unless you hit a big bump or pothole). They are stiff, but not too stiff. At times on certain curves I wish they were stiffer, and others I wish they were less stiff. I guess what I'm trying to say is, they are very well rounded for a number of applications; including daily driving.

Overall: 9/10 as there will always be room for improvement (Maybe F II's, AMR Engineering, Bilstein shocks with a nice spring, etc.). Don't know yet, but time will tell which direction is the right one to pursue when I upgrade. I have a direction though , but these work very well in the interim.

The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post

Best thing i ever drove in for our cars..
        X2 here and i can say that these coilovers are so damn good lol.

And for deve, i dunno what spring rate u had or heard of, but mine are pretty comfy for coilovers . They are not that bouncy and the car handles very good. But i've drove only with 3 different setups so i'm not telling they are the best of the world but they are by far the best of all the setups that i had on my cb.

Comment

Meagn Racing EZ-Street Full Coilovers. 9.6/10

Seriously good for a budget...plus they're blue!

They are adjustable and have 15-way variable damping. Full soft is like a cloud, full hard is like a rock. I have them set at 9 in the front and 7 in the rear. Very firm but forgiving on bumpy stuff. Handling is superb. I have the ES Full bushing kit along with an EX rear sway bar for added stability. I plan to auto-x with these. Can't wait...

I recommend them to anyone who is interested in high-performance on a budget.
          Last edited by islandhopper; 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

ive actually been thinking about the EZ series from Megan Racing. $799 for a set sounds nice. and its fully adjustable. glad you posted up here about it man

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
              ive actually been thinking about the EZ series from Megan Racing. $799 for a set sounds nice. and its fully adjustable. glad you posted up here about it man
              I got mine for $675..let me do some digging and i'll find you a link...

Edit: Here's the link to the coilovers on their site...http://www.drivenbystyle.com/1990199...-p-118613.html

They have a price match guarantee, so you'll have to find a retailer that is selling them for super cheap to make it worthwhile. I can't find the link i used, so you'll have to find one yourself. They will include shipping on top of the price match, so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps!
              Last edited by islandhopper; 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
                Meagn Racing EZ-Street Full Coilovers. 9.6/10

Seriously good for a budget...plus they're blue!

They are adjustable and have 15-way variable damping. Full soft is like a cloud, full hard is like a rock. I have them set at 9 in the front and 7 in the rear. Very firm but forgiving on bumpy stuff. Handling is superb. I have the ES Full bushing kit along with an EX rear sway bar for added stability. I plan to auto-x with these. Can't wait...

I recommend them to anyone who is interested in high-performance on a budget.
                Word! Thanks for the information.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Hondapawa View Post
                  X2 here and i can say that these coilovers are so damn good lol.

And for deve, i dunno what spring rate u had or heard of, but mine are pretty comfy for coilovers . They are not that bouncy and the car handles very good. But i've drove only with 3 different setups so i'm not telling they are the best of the world but they are by far the best of all the setups that i had on my cb.
                  D2 Racing RS: 678F, 398R

They're not quite as high as I thought, and the rears are actually quite reasonable... but still. 678 is pretty stiff. That info was obtained from the thread in the suspension section created by mndude07.

The Megan EZ series intrigues me. Megan's full coilovers have had a decent reputation, despite the company's "knockoff" status. From what I've heard, they're a decent alternative to the Tein Basic, which has long been the best "street only" coilover system. It makes so much sense to have a comfortable spring rate on a car that's not going to really see any serious track time. I don't get why everyone wants a "race" suspension on a car that they don't race. It's not cool. It's actually kinda stupid!

Get parts that suit your needs. "Race" isn't always better, if your needs don't lie on a race track.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    D2 Racing RS: 678F, 398R

They're not quite as high as I thought, and the rears are actually quite reasonable... but still. 678 is pretty stiff. That info was obtained from the thread in the suspension section created by mndude07.

The Megan EZ series intrigues me. Megan's full coilovers have had a decent reputation, despite the company's "knockoff" status. From what I've heard, they're a decent alternative to the Tein Basic, which has long been the best "street only" coilover system. It makes so much sense to have a comfortable spring rate on a car that's not going to really see any serious track time. I don't get why everyone wants a "race" suspension on a car that they don't race. It's not cool. It's actually kinda stupid!

Get parts that suit your needs. "Race" isn't always better, if your needs don't lie on a race track.
                    To add to this, a softer spring rate on a not-so-smooth surface (like streets) will actually yield you more grip and make the car faster.

Serious people don't drive around on their race shocks and springs, they swap between street and race setups.

If I bought a set of these knockoff coilovers, and were going to use them for street, I would replace the stock springs with Eibach's in the 400-300lb range. Yes your damping will be "off" then, but most of those systems are underdamped anyway. You will increase % critical damping and mechanical grip.
                    Last edited by mndude07; 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM.
                    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

if i get a s2000 for my next car i want the godspeed coilovers there around $600

Comment

skunk2 lowering springs
                        KYB AGX struts

8.5/10 i love the ride, height and handling, definitely not the best, but great for my DD.

*off topic
                        i have the D2 coilovers on my eg, and absolutely would not have any other coilover on it after having them.

Comment

Eibach pro kit springs(Best springs i've had yet.I'm not much of a coilover guy these days)
                          KYB gr2's(Nothing fancy, but holding up good.Was on car when i got it it was slammed on ebay springs for god knows how long).

For now until i upgrade the struts an cut a coil or so off the fronts.I'd have to give it a 7.5+ outta 10.Ride is sorta stiff(Mild),but not bouncy whatsoever just fells great and solid.It performs great on un even twisty mountain roads!Which is my favorite type of driving an the springs match my needs/style great.

02 Crv
                          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

MNdude hates aftermarket coil-overs as much as deev hates g22's LOL
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                              Agreed.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                                That's sooo funny!

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                                X