Question about installing coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about installing coilovers

so i recently got some function and form coilovers, the shocks on my current setup are blown (damn coilover sleeves) and im going to replace them real soon. the only thing is, for the rear strut mounts at the bottom mount theres no nut welded on that the bolt is supposed to screw into. its only two open holes meant to go on either side of the mount. do i use a separate nut, and if so what kind?

THIS CAR DOES NOT BELONG TO ME SO STOP GIVING ME COMPLIMENTS!! although it is quite nice....

Vehicular Lunacy At Its Finest

My ksports came with the nut. Have you had a good look in the box? If not, just take the bolt to a bolt shop or something and test the thread. Try and get a nut with a flange.
    Members Ride Thread

Comment

dammit that means i have to take the bolt out. does anyone know the thread pitch and size of the bolt and stuff?

THIS CAR DOES NOT BELONG TO ME SO STOP GIVING ME COMPLIMENTS!! although it is quite nice....

Vehicular Lunacy At Its Finest

Comment

Most aftermarket coil overs have that nut welded on there coilover system. You just thread the stock bolt on there and is should be fine. You dont need to use the stock nut that you took off the old assembly. Even though they might be good things to keep when you want to take off your suspension.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Should be 10 x 1.25
          Members Ride Thread

Comment

^Beat me to it, yeah, the nut will need to be M10 X 1.25, and it will have a 14mm head on it. My D2's are of the same design for the rears, but a pair of M10 X 1.25 nuts were included!

Here's an informative post about thread pitches:
            Originally posted by cp[mike]
            thanks steve, i ended up finding what i needed.

for future reference, here are the bolt/pitch sizes on the car. there are various other bolts with special thread pitches, but these are the most common.

hex head size :: diameter(mm) x thread pitch(mm) :: drill size (for tapping)

8mm :: M5 x 0.8 :: (4.2mm)
            10mm :: M6 x 1.0 :: (5mm)
            12mm :: M8 x 1.25 :: (6.8mm)
            14mm :: M10 x 1.25 :: (8.6mm)
            17mm :: M12 x 1.25 :: (10.5mm)

be aware that on majestic/at the dealer, thread pitch is assumed, so bolt sizes are listed as diameter X length, eg: M6x20 is a hex bolt with a 10mm head, 20mm (2cm) long, with an assumed thread pitch of 1.0mm.

Comment

Working...
            X