What tire pressure do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAiL05
    When I had stock 195 I followed the factory 28 psi or whatever it was on the door jamb I forgot.
    Just because it's the stock tyre size doesn't mean that the Honda recommended psi is best for handling etc., just a (poor) compromise for a comfy ride, which is what the majority of Accord buyers are likely to prefer.
    Regards from Oz,
    John.

Comment

It was fine with my yokohama avid h4s setup. Helped me with traction.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by 93AccordLXwhite
        Running Michelin Pilot Exaltos 38 PSI in the front 43 PSI in the rear.(Cold)
        Tires rated for 45 PSI.

Dramatic difference vs 28-Low 30's PSI all around.
        "Dramatic" isn't overstating the possible improvement to steering and handling with substantially increased psi over the manufacturer's recommended settings. Other than fitting Konis to my car, it's the best single 'modification' I've done, and the cheapest!
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

It was fine with my yokohama avid h4s setup. Helped me with traction.
          But, did you actually try those tyres at a substantially higher psi, say in the high 30s?
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

no because it worked fine and steered fine when I wanted it too. Avid H4s is a soft tire. It doesnt require a lot of pressure to grip well. I love those tires but the wear out too quick.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

no because it worked fine and steered fine when I wanted it too. Avid H4s is a soft tire. It doesnt require a lot of pressure to grip well. I love those tires but the wear out too quick.
              Fair enough, but steering and handling isn't all about raw grip. It's as much about responsiveness and balance, and this is where higher psi and differences in front / rear psi pay dividends. Increasing psi substantially may or may not actually improve outright grip, but is very likely to make the steering and handling 'sportier' and thus more enjoyable.

My car (with it's current tyres) can't rip my head off with lateral 'G" force, but it does respond crisply and cleanly to steering inputs and weight transfers, making it easy (and even fun) to avoid potholes etc with only minimal steering inputs. With the high psi (vs stock psi) my car is much more manouverable and responsive to sudden steering inputs, and therefore safer beacuse in an emergency evasive action starts now!

The problem with most tyres with taller sidewalls is that the sidewalls tend to flex way too much, so despite how grippy the tread may be the response generally isn't there, especially at lower psi. There's a big difference between being able to pull a high G force in a constant radius corner, and being able to perform swerve type manouvres in a sharp and controlled manner.

Most lower profile tyres have much stiffer sidewalls (because of the simple fact of the sidewall being shorter, because they tend to made that way to better protect the otherwise more exposed rim from damage, and because they are generally intended for a more 'performance' oriented market niche), yet are generally run at substantially higher than 'stock' psi.

I would argue that for a taller sidewall tyre to perform well it is in even more need of higher psi than a lower sidewall tyre (to limit sidewall deflection). I've heard people say, and heard quite a number of reports of people saying, that they weren't aware that their low profile tyre was nearly flat because it still seemed to steer and handle OK, which is a direct result of the sidewall stiffness in the lower profile tyres (and dare I suggest a certain insensitivity on the part of the driver?!). A taller tyre will let you know it's getting low on psi much sooner.
              Last edited by johnl; 03-22-2008, 01:57 AM.
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

Didnt really care about sidewall with my 55 ratio. Either way the car was an auto. I could care less about performance honestly.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                X