Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough Ride. HARD, but BOUNCY. Can I keep it LOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Ride. HARD, but BOUNCY. Can I keep it LOW?

I bought my 91 EX used. It came with cold air intake, stock header ( I assume since the heatshield is still on, though I haven't checked under it), and aftermarket loud exhaust. Clear corners and altezza tails. And lowered.

The only reason I mention the above is so you might be able to guess something for me, based on the previous owner's appearent lazyboy easy DIY bolt-on mods (which, leads me to believe he might have taken a short cut and simply cut the springs just to get it lowered. Just my guess, but I dunno.) I'll tell you how it behaves, and maybe you can tell me what you think is up with my suspension, and what I can do to fix it:

The EX came already lowered (check my sig), I'd say about 2" from stock (judging from my neighbor's stock DX, which, by comparison, seems to TOWER over mine, and the gap between top of wheel to the fender is noticeably huge compared to mine).

Anyways, I've been driving 86 Civics since, well, 1986, and I'm used to how well those things handle (tight turning radius, corners well, good solid feel). Well, by comparison, my 91 EX Accord seems to handle horribly.

I'm not sure what mods good/bad they did to the suspension other than the fact that it is lowered, but the EX has so much sway. It feels like the body is twisting. Almost feels as if the wheels themselves are tilting in and out when I turn/swerve. Too much wiggle or play (I'd prefer none at all). If I swerve, even though one would think the lowered stance (and center of gravity) would make it hug the road better, it doesn't: instead, it feels like it's a jeep wrangler, about 10 feet high, about to topple over !

It's low to the ground (My mud flaps come real close to dragging sometimes on a full load, and I have hit the oilpan and/or exhaust once or twice going SLOW over a speedbump), but it handles like a top-heavy jeep!

Since I've never driven a stock accord, I have nothing to compare to other than my 86 civic. But if I were to describe my ride: It takes bumps/potholes HARD (which confuses me because it feels BOUNCY. How does this sound compared to a stock (and non-defective) ride?

Can a ride be HARD, yet BOUNCY (on turns, swerves, when the car leans) at the same time?

I don't know how to figure out if they replaced the springs, replaced the shocks, or simply cut the stock springs, or if the shocks have gone out, or what. I don't even know if it's running stock or aftermarket. All I know is it's lowered, and the handling sucks.

Can a ride be HARD and BOUNCY at the same time? What do you suggest I do to correct it? (I have read on here that no matter what, the accord simply handles better at stock height. Is that true? I want to keep it at this height though, but I wonder if there is a way to keep it low, but maintain good handling.)

p.s. There's no anti-sway bar in front. Just the stock EX bar under rear. None in trunk. Some subtle negative camber on the wheels can be seen by naked eye if you look closely too.
    Last edited by BlackPearl2006; 05-27-2007, 03:55 AM.
    My Ride (Click here)

Ugh, well take off a wheel and take alook at the springs. If they are colored and not very dirty they are aftermarket. Goo ont he shock means its bad. I'm sure someone can tell you more there. If the springs are cut then it is likely the shocks could be blown.

To fix this I'd reccomend new shocks/springs. Just for a better ride if nothing else...

No, stock height is not best. I think I know what you are talking about, I read aguy say hat to. But farther down the thread owequitit gave solid examples showing lowered is better. Lower center of gravit and a stiffer spring will yeild more grip. An accord w/ new suspension and rims/tires pulled about .93 g's. How's that worse than stock? Eh?

Hope some of this helped. Good luck!
    Click for my ride thread.

Comment

The missing EX front sway bar is where most of your body roll and jeep feeling are coming from, get that shit back!

you definatly need to get the wheel off and snap a few pics so we can see what kinda neglect your ride has seen.
      Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness
        The missing EX front sway bar is where most of your body roll and jeep feeling are coming from, get that shit back!

you definatly need to get the wheel off and snap a few pics so we can see what kinda neglect your ride has seen.
        Hmm, perhaps I'm misinformed and/or ignorant noobiness; I know the EX has a sway bar underneath the rears, exclusive to the EX I think, right? I didn't know it's suppossed to have front one too, does it? What I meant is there is no aftermarket brace in the front (that go from strut to strut).

Anyway, I'll try to snap pics soon. But from what I've looked at myself, there is no bright coloured suspension parts; the suspenson parts look as old as the rest of the car, with the appropriate amount of grime that 17 years worth of wear would seem to accummulate. So I think it is stock.
        My Ride (Click here)

Comment

If its stock it could be cut...

Or maybe heat shrunk? I have heard that mentioned before, don't really know anything about it. Just a thought.

Either way stock riding 2inches lower shouldn't be... you should replace that stuff if you've got the money.
          Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPearl2006
            Hmm, perhaps I'm misinformed and/or ignorant noobiness; I know the EX has a sway bar underneath the rears, exclusive to the EX I think, right? I didn't know it's suppossed to have front one too, does it? What I meant is there is no aftermarket brace in the front (that go from strut to strut).

Anyway, I'll try to snap pics soon. But from what I've looked at myself, there is no bright coloured suspension parts; the suspenson parts look as old as the rest of the car, with the appropriate amount of grime that 17 years worth of wear would seem to accummulate. So I think it is stock.
            I think you're getting things confused. There isn't a strut tower brace. Which is what your talking about, the anti-sway bar is beneath the car and unless the idiot previous owner removed it (wtf would someone do that?) or its broke, I'd better 10 to 1 your struts are blown. I have the same problem. 225xxx on ORIGINAL struts...yuck. I just am saving up for TEIN basics. Oh gunna be soo hott.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by oranger
              I think you're getting things confused. There isn't a strut tower brace. Which is what your talking about, the anti-sway bar is beneath the car and unless the idiot previous owner removed it (wtf would someone do that?) or its broke, I'd better 10 to 1 your struts are blown. I have the same problem. 225xxx on ORIGINAL struts...yuck. I just am saving up for TEIN basics. Oh gunna be soo hott.

x2

stock struts FTL...... a rear sway bar in the trunk, some solid koni yellows or tokicko blues. hell even agx's and a decent set of springs will yeild amazing results.

throw in a master bushing set and a front sway bar and itll handle like a dream.
              ]

Comment

Working...
              X