Pillowballs vs. Camber kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pillowballs vs. Camber kits

Im still figuring out the suspension thing, working through that. I am think about droppin bout 1.5" from stock, and looking at alignment kits and such. Trying to figure out what the difference is between a camber kit and a pillowball mount. Are they even related or completely seperate. It seems a pillowball is easier to use than a camber kit, and I like the look.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

You can't adjust the camber using pillow ball mounts, at least not for our cars...

If you want to be able to adjust your camber, then you need to buy a camber kit..

Pillow ball mount will reduce shaft play (solid vs. OEM bushings), but you won't be able to adjust camber

Hope that helps..

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Actually with pillow ball mounts you can. There are adjustable pillow ball mounts on higher dollar coil overs. But for shock and spring your better off just gettin a camber kit since your only going 1.5" which isnt much.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

1.5 would that even need a kit at all? Ive seen set ups near to 2 inch that didnt need a kit... they where close enuf to stock camber that its not nessisary. Then again, 16 year old cars arnt all the same geometry wise.

Ive got all new hardware to do a 1.7 back 1.9 front drop, and I dont expect to need a camber kit just a good alignment. It might be maxed out for adjustment in one direction but oh well, im not dropping any further than that in Alaska. Neuspeed sport for the win!.
        I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. Im definately going to get a camber kit, I don't like the idea of maxing adjustments. I prefer to have some wiggle room. Thats my other concern is changing the geometery. I know an 1.5" aint much, but I don't want to mess stuff up. Any other precautions I should take? I just don't want to ruin something ya know, I like my cb

Comment

Originally posted by Akira_kj
            1.5 would that even need a kit at all? Ive seen set ups near to 2 inch that didnt need a kit... they where close enuf to stock camber that its not nessisary. Then again, 16 year old cars arnt all the same geometry wise.

Ive got all new hardware to do a 1.7 back 1.9 front drop, and I dont expect to need a camber kit just a good alignment. It might be maxed out for adjustment in one direction but oh well, im not dropping any further than that in Alaska. Neuspeed sport for the win!.
            The more you lower it, the worse the camber is going to be, but I definately recommend some kind of camber adjustment when lowering more than an inch, just because its going to prevent accelerated tire wear.
            R.I.P. CB7; hello spec-v!

Member's Ride
            FS thread: full part-out

Help me with my spec-V fund, buy my stuff!!!
            Degree of rice and performability are inversely related.

Comment

Aight, so I guess I just have a few more practical questions. I'm planning on getting new KYB struts, NRG coilovers, a bushing kit and a camber kit (dont have the cash for the pillowballs). When installing the coilovers they just go over the struts like stock springs, nothing extra to know right? And how important is a bushing kit? Also, I work in an auto shop and we have a machine to do alignments. Is it going to matter that it's lowered?

Comment

The pillowballs won't adjust camber in the accords. So, not really worth it.

The coilovers might have bushings to go in the spring seat so they sit evenly. And maybe some for the top hat. Apart from that just wack them in.

By bushing kit do you mean a master bushing kit from ES or something?

Dunno if there are some alignment machines that don't work with lowered cars but I've never had a problem. I'm sure as long as it's fairly modern it should be fine.
                Members Ride Thread

Comment

Ok, thats makes sense bout the alignment. Cuz I know they come with preprogrammed specs for that car, and just lowering won't change where those specs should be. K,

Yea I meant a master kit..

Aight, thanks man!!

Comment

U really don't need a camber kit, it's a waste of money for the drop U are going for. I am drop at 2.5 and I don't have a camber kit (Yes my tires are wearing envenly). It has been two years now by the way. There are people drop at 3" and more without camber kit (oneoffaccord for example). Moreover, why buy a coilover if U only want to drop the thing 1.7 Get some springs, drop the car and have an lifetime alignment. Anyway, it's Ur choice.

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      Actually with pillow ball mounts you can. There are adjustable pillow ball mounts on higher dollar coil overs. But for shock and spring your better off just gettin a camber kit since your only going 1.5" which isnt much.
                      Only for Macpherson style though, correct? Don't think we can adjust our cambers by using adjustable pillow ball mounts...Not on our chassis anyways..I could be wrong though..

But yeah, screw camber kits...I'm dropped about 3 inches and I don't use camber kits just the washer trick for the rear..Negative camber FTW

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

I looked into the pillowball mounts for our cars. Tein makes them, and I got excited about being able to adjust my camber without using anchor bolts (I hate them) or ball joints (I don't trust replacing the ball joint). The way we're set up, though, the camber is not reliant on the angle of the strut.

Comment

people sayin this, sayin that. fuk that! go fo the whole suspenison. cause, if u get the whole thang u dont have to worry bout negative camber, n yo shocks n yo ride will ride much better. cause when u think about it. it all adds up. u buy coilovers $300 or u buy springs $190 then u need new shocks maybe $500 n up. u get tired seein tire wearin out, u need cambers maybe $190 rite. lets say about? maybe? u do the math?

Comment

I have no idea what you are saying... A full coilover system for our cars would still need a camber kit for camber correction (not "cambers"... that isn't even a word).

This whole thread is about how adjustable pillowball upper mounts don't do a damn thing for us in terms of camber adjustment. On a car where the camber can be adjusted by changing the angle of the strut, then it would work... and you would be correct. However, in this case, you are not correct.

A good set of coilovers should cost about the same as a good set of springs and shocks. REALLY good coilovers would be much more, but there is no need for highly specialized coilovers for a car that won't be seeing serious track time. Any decent setup should cost between $700 and $1000, regardless of what direction you go in.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              The way we're set up, though, the camber is not reliant on the angle of the strut.
                              X2....and better for it...although a little complicated, our unequal lenght control arm setup has much better dynamic geometry than the Macpherson System

DEVOTE

Comment

Working...
                              X