im being outhandled by higher and softer rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im being outhandled by higher and softer rides

i know car design has a lot to do with how a car handles, as well as ride hieght, stiffness of springs and reaction rates.

but my question is, i have a 3 inch sprint drop springs on agxs with a front strut bar. but yet my car still cant handle like my friends 350z which is higher up and has a softer ride. ive even had my ass handed to me by a stock 84 supra that sits 8 inches off the ground.

what do you guys think about this. Im looking for a more luxurious ride

I HATE HOW LOW MY CAR IS. i cant even pull into my driveay, its useless.

im looking for a drop of around 2.25 to 2.5 but i still want to handle as well as other sports cars.

is this possible? why do hondas have to go so low to handle good? or is this a misconception? maybe its because i have cheap suspennsion? im looking to get a more of a luxurious better handling ride, one that i can drive over a brick road and not throw up everywhere in the morning when i still have a hangover and every bump sends my stomach out my mouth.
    ]

i used to have sportlines, and i was fairly comfortable with them however ive heard they are more for looks, and if im not going to handle any better now,
    the sportlines would be uselless.
    ]

Comment

Here is where the Neuspeed Race springs come in. However, the KYB AGX struts kill all drops.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
        Here is where the Neuspeed Race springs come in. However, the KYB AGX struts kill all drops.
        x2

and why did you think your car would be able to handle as well as a 350z?

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

look heres ur problem,
          1. you only have a front strut bar
          2. 3in drop on agx
          3. not enough suspension goodies.

tires do play a big roll in handling also.

Comment

Well..you drive an early 90s family car that was never designed to hit the twisties. the chassis just isnt built for it. sure you can add strut bars here, sway bars there, but the car is heavy, and not re-enforced for road racing, putting you at a disadvantage. Thats not even taking into account the fact that your suspension sucks. lower isnt allways better. There is a lot of R&D that needs to go into a good suspension setup.

I thought my accord handled really well when i had it (and it wasnt bad for what it was), then i drove a stock integra and found that the accord was just never going to compare to it, and the integra isnt even really a super handling car (maybe the TypeR is). Just remember, anything you can do to your accord to make it handle better, you can do to a car thats already built to handle better.
            Last edited by Accord R33; 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

first of all...the 350Z has pythons for sway bars and the suspension apperantly is not very forgiving....that car has been criticized for this, according to Best Motoring, the 350 is a hard car to apply weight transfer techniques on....

that being said...your 3"drop will do no good in normal roads...its just too low...and the KYB AGX's are not the best shock absorbers out there...thus their relatively cheap price.

if you want a decent ride...go with good quality parts that are specifically designed for the streets...try to stay away from parts called "race" they are more functional at a car show or smooth race track than anywhere else. trying to dodge little holes on the streets is hardly considered performance handling, thats called the suspension system is too low for the streets...

my suggestion for good handling on everyday streets...

Springs: Eibach Sportline, Tein H-tech, Neuspeed Sport/SofSport,...

Shocks: Tokico Illuminas, Koni Yellow (my choice)

Sway Bars: Suspension Technique, Intrax

Bushings: Energy Suspension

Tires: Bridgestone Potenza G009, Yokahama ADVAN S4, Michelin Pilot Sport

Wheels:
              ALAP... As light as possible and max 17"...16" preferable.

with a setup from above, you should be able to get grip as high as an M3, maybe even better; however, handling upgrades in a CB is a uphill battle...mainly b/c its front wheel drive.

check out this CB build:

Book Series: Motorbooks Workshop
              Title: High-Performance Handling Handbook
              Author: Don Alexander
              Published date: 2002
              ISBN-13: 978-0-7603-0948-3
              ISBN-10: 0-7603-0948-5

yeah the pics are going to be big; dial-up ppl be careful ur modem might explode
              read on:

DEVOTE

Comment

I've heard good things about the Tein Basic setup. Might want to look into those.

Comment

lokuputha you rock. excellent article that you posted there.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I drive my friends s2000 and the handling compared to my car doesnt compare as much. His turning radius is smaller, his steering response is quicker, and the body roll is minimal. Simply put, our car was not designed for the track. Although we add modifications, the overall design is not changed and at the end of the day although the car handles better, its still an accord.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

The way the car is built plays a key role in the suspension geometry.

Its not the lower the car the better the handling.

Which do you want more? A luxurious ride or a suspension that can keep up the the other sports car (gonna be stiff)?

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18
                        The way the car is built plays a key role in the suspension geometry.

Its not the lower the car the better the handling.

Which do you want more? A luxurious ride or a suspension that can keep up the the other sports car (gonna be stiff)?
                        i dont need evo handling, but put it this way, i want suspension to match the horsepower.

a vette has 400 hp and handles incredilbe. a mustang v6 has 150 horsepower and handles like shit.

a stock accord doesnt handle well either.

but a 325is handles well, a vr6 golf handles pretty good, and a porsche 944. all around 200 hp and handle like a 200 hp car.

so at the same time, i want the ride quality of those 3 and the handling as well.
                        im not looking to take an evo in the turns, but if im racing any of those ^ i dont want to get my ass handed to me.
                        ]

Comment

Originally posted by RoCknRicEr037
                          a vette has 400 hp and handles incredilbe.

i couldn't agree more

Comment

if u want the perception of quicker steering, get a smaller steering wheel (ex// 1st gen ITR wheel)...

When I installed my ITR wheel, due to reducing the radius of the steering wheel, the car actually felt more nimble.

...it felt matched to the upgraded suspension system.
                            DEVOTE

Comment

Those springs are no good... they're all for show. I would go for Neuspeed Sport/Races or the Eibach Sportlines.

If you really want to handle well, get Omnis or the Tokico RAK coilovers, or the Neuspeed Cup Kit... then maybe front and rear sways. And if you have 17s get the AEM BBK... it works with stock calipers. From there your car should be great.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X