steering wheel shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering wheel shakes

the steering wheel gets real shakey sometimes when im driving. got some anniversary wheels and newer tires and it still does it. on my old set of tires the front drivers side tire was damn near bald but the other three i could probably get another 3000 or 4000 miles out of. could i get an alignment and get this problem taken care of or is there more to it than just that?
    -Xavier

Originally posted by 90_cb7
    the steering wheel gets real shakey sometimes when im driving. got some anniversary wheels and newer tires and it still does it. on my old set of tires the front drivers side tire was damn near bald but the other three i could probably get another 3000 or 4000 miles out of. could i get an alignment and get this problem taken care of or is there more to it than just that?
    i defintly know wat ur talkin about. this happens on my sister's 98 camry, wondering if an alignment would fix the problem

Comment

a alignment WILL NOT fix the problem. you need to get the wheels rebalanced and then your set

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord
        a alignment WILL NOT fix the problem. you need to get the wheels rebalanced and then your set
        if its the wheels that are creating the problem.

he could have a lot of things wrong, tie rods, ball joints etc

everything makes the car shake

Comment

^he's right also bad axle could have an effect.just check your suspension components.
          Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

ok so this is one of those problems where you dont know what is really wrong until you get it checked out?
            -Xavier

Comment

exactly. you could also take a look to see if anything just stands out.
              -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
              -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Bent wheel? i bent a wheel on mine and it shook pretty bad. Have them re-balanced first and formost.

"Up Down, Slide To Slide"

Members ride thread- ]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63019]

Comment

My wheel shake was caused by bad alignment. (shake as in moving left and right about .5 inch rapidly) A four-wheel alignment took care of that and %95 of the vibrations. $60 well spent and my handling is a lot better.
                  Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Ah yes.
                    First check for proper PSI in your tires(all four).
                    It could be something simple as that, or perhaps a re-balance and rotation for the tires could solve it...

...also, check on the anniversary rims to see if you are missing the "counter-weights." This happened on my GSR rims(other car) and i was shaking at certain speeds and certain speeds only.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

i will get an alignment either thursday or friday before the meet and see if that does the trick
                      Last edited by 90_cb7; 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM.
                      -Xavier

Comment

if your shaking problem is coming when accelerating, like 55-75 mph, like mine was, then it might be an axle or two that are worn out. My boots looked fine, but when i checked the axle by tugging, there was Plenty of movement so they were worn out.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

im wondering if i pulled a joint out of one of the axles when i was replacing my camber kit and my whole suspension setup to stock.

sometimes i hit a slight bump and the whole car shifts to the left/right.

prior to the swappage my steering was fine...out of alignment...but still drove without shaking or slack.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                            if your shaking problem is coming when accelerating, like 55-75 mph, like mine was, then it might be an axle or two that are worn out. My boots looked fine, but when i checked the axle by tugging, there was Plenty of movement so they were worn out.
                            if that is the problem, there is a place in town that has a sign in front that says says 'Axles $95 installed'. is that a good deal for axles?
                            -Xavier

Comment

Originally posted by 90_cb7
                              if that is the problem, there is a place in town that has a sign in front that says says 'Axles $95 installed'. is that a good deal for axles?
                              considering an axle will cost around 50+core charge (another 30-40 dollars)

and if you dont like doing the work yourself, i would assume that it is a good deal. if another breaks though you wont have any warranty (unless of course they offer warranty on their axles.)
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X