Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock struts too long for lowering springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock struts too long for lowering springs?

Hey my rear stock struts are too long for the sprint extreme springs(at least 6 inches too long). Im just scared that when my suspension travels, the springs will move off of the top hats and damage something. My question is, are aftermarket shocks shorter than stock? if not, what do you do about the extra shock travel?
    My Ongoing CB7 Project

bump! anyone?
    My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

I think once you put them on and get the car on the ground, the load will hold stuff in place.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Yeah it's been holding so far, but I was just wondering if aftermarket shocks had less travel.
        My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

although lowering on stock struts is never the best idea, they will hold for a while. unless u live in NE then well yea lol. but don;t worry bout the springs, the weight will keep everything in place. but u may want to go with aftermarket struts such as koni. in this case red or yellow would be good. koni struts are the best out there. the kyb agx's will ruin your drop.....agx's tend to make car sit bit higher.
          My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
            although lowering on stock struts is never the best idea, they will hold for a while. unless u live in NE then well yea lol. but don;t worry bout the springs, the weight will keep everything in place. but u may want to go with aftermarket struts such as koni. in this case red or yellow would be good. koni struts are the best out there. the kyb agx's will ruin your drop.....agx's tend to make car sit bit higher.
            it wont "ruin" your drop...it just makes it sit higher, i can vouch for that
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Do the aftermarket shocks travel less? or do you guys have the same problem?
              My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

umm......they travel about the same but they usually can handle greater spring rates. i guess the "problem" u have.....yes many have that problem at least on every cb7 i have installed springs /struts on. don't worry bout it. put the springs on u will be fine. if u want, get new struts when u can afford it.
                My members ride thread

Comment

Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks! I just hate having to line up the springs every time I jack the car up.
                  My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

If you hit a bump wouldn't the shock fully uncompress and when it compresses again the spring might not be seated right?

It happans to me b/c I am on the lowest perch on my konis and it would make a loud clunk noise.
                    Last edited by i97supratti; 08-12-2006, 03:00 PM.

Comment

thats what i was thinking.
                      My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

ummm............nooooooooooo. not unless the bumps u hit would give u like 1ft air. u really need to hit a mighty big pothole or huge freaking frost heave for that to happen. u do realize that there is like 2900lbs on them springs???? don't wry bout the springs. there will be NO clunking noises or anything. just put a bumpstop in. trust me on this one
                        My members ride thread

Comment

I know. I trust you. I just said that thats what I was worried about before you explained it.
                          My Ongoing CB7 Project

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                            ummm............nooooooooooo. not unless the bumps u hit would give u like 1ft air. u really need to hit a mighty big pothole or huge freaking frost heave for that to happen. u do realize that there is like 2900lbs on them springs???? don't wry bout the springs. there will be NO clunking noises or anything. just put a bumpstop in. trust me on this one
                            You haven't driven in NYC have you?

I had this problem awhile ago and made a thread about it on sho.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287031

Comment

actually i have, born in NYC and yes NYC is pretty damn bad but i think this guy is worrying bout nothing.
                              My members ride thread

Comment

Working...
                              X