Control arm problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control arm problems

Ok, here's the deal. I just finished installing my Bilstein HD's with Sprint 2.25" springs. I also put on an Ingall's camber kit on the front and put washers in the rear. After setting the car off the jackstands, the car looks perfect. I love the drop but I had adjusted the camber kits all the way out which I shouldn't have done. The upper control arms in the front are SITTING against the fenderwell while the car is just sitting. I do have some postitive camber because of the camber kits but I don't think adjusting them will keep the control arms completely off the fenderwell because it's bottomed out while sitting on the ground.

So here's my plan. Adjust the camber kit halfway in and then cut the fenderwells. Is there anything I need to be aware of before cutting such as any wiring and such? Or should I be able to just go in and cut the hell out of it? Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I have a sport drop (1.75 in the front) and the ingalls kit barely worked for me. You will either need to run the camber (stock pieces), or pick up a ball-joint camber kit for each side. That way, you are just adjusting out the ball-joint and not the entire a-arm assembly. I'm sure the drop looks nice....
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

do you remember about where you have your camber set at? i think i'll try setting it halfway and see if that works. if that doesn't, i'll try all the way in. then if that still doesn't work, i guess i'll have to put the stock pieces back on and order a balljoint kit. i'm thinking you're right, i'm gonna have to go with a different kit.

Comment

Originally posted by eludedU95
        do you remember about where you have your camber set at? i think i'll try setting it halfway and see if that works. if that doesn't, i'll try all the way in. then if that still doesn't work, i guess i'll have to put the stock pieces back on and order a balljoint kit. i'm thinking you're right, i'm gonna have to go with a different kit.
        Right now I barely clear, I have a 1.75" drop on the front and the camber is almost at ZERO.....about .25-.5 degrees negative to be exact. You CAN notch the inner wheel wells, I've seen it done. I've had my car for 7 years or so, I know the suspension pretty well.

How is the rear shim trick working for you? How many washers did you use? I only ask because my rear camber is still unchanged....
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
          Right now I barely clear, I have a 1.75" drop on the front and the camber is almost at ZERO.....about .25-.5 degrees negative to be exact. You CAN notch the inner wheel wells, I've seen it done. I've had my car for 7 years or so, I know the suspension pretty well.

How is the rear shim trick working for you? How many washers did you use? I only ask because my rear camber is still unchanged....
          Yeah I think I may try to do what I can so I don't have to cut the fenderwells. I'm gonna try putting my camber as far in as possible and see if it clears. If not, I'll put the stock pieces in and get a balljoint kit.

Regarding the rear camber, it seems to have worked fine. I honestly haven't looked at it too closely because of my other problem but it seems like the tires have little to no negative camber. I used 3 washers behind each bolt.

Comment

get some good shocks, like kyb's or tokiko and youll be straight. that same thing happened to me after i droped it. mine is dropped like 3 1/2 inches so trust me i know. and if you dont have the money then get some new shocks and cut the fenderwell. good luck......

SOLD-->10-09-06

MY 2000 PROTEGE

MY OLD CB7

THE SWAP

MY COROLLA TYPE-S

Comment

Originally posted by chicohonda91
              get some good shocks, like kyb's or tokiko and youll be straight. that same thing happened to me after i droped it. mine is dropped like 3 1/2 inches so trust me i know. and if you dont have the money then get some new shocks and cut the fenderwell. good luck......
              Shocks do not change suspension geometry, they will have no effect on final ride height, camber, or alignment. They are simple a device to control the suspensions movement allowing for proper ride control/tire contact. The proper camber adjustment parts will allow the desired drop, (+) camber adjustment, and everything will have clearance to move.
              1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

weird im on a 3 in drop and have no problems

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                  weird im on a 3 in drop and have no problems
                  Are you running a camber kit? If so, what type?
                  1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by chicohonda91
                    I did get new shocks. I went with the Bilstein Heavy Duty set.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear how those do in the long run because I thought I'd read on their site they weren't kosher for dropped cars, but that the (discontinued) Sport versions were?
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

i was running on kyb gr-2's on 4+ inch drop and i finally blew all 4 struts and busted some ball joints after hitting 2 very large frost heaves followed by a ditch. the gr-2's had over 50k miles on them and were fine. no banging, no noises nothing. waiting on koni yellows to arrive.
                        i did not use camber kits at all just got alignment and was fine. it's all about the TOE.
                        My members ride thread

Comment

Instead of modifying the inner fender well, why dont you remove material from the tip of the control arm? Its easier to get to this part while its on the car and there is plenty of metal left over after about 1-2 cm is removed.
                          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Working...
                          X