strut bar problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut bar problem

Just got my strut bar delivered from eBay. I go to install it and realize that either it is like 1/2 in. too short or the god damn ABS modulator thing is in the way. I can only get the inner nut tightened on each side, which I feel is dangerous (1 out of 3). I took a test drive just to see what would happen. The car handles 2x better than before (I can eat corners for breakfast now), however, I still don't feel 100% safe. I took pics but have not had the chance to upload them yet. I have stretched the bar's hinges to their maximum, but they just won't go that extra 1/2 in. so I can tighten the other 2 nuts on each side. Once I get the pics up, it will be obvious about what I am talking about.

Any advice? I believe it is the ABS modulator in the way. It would be the set of wires/plugs exactly to the right of the left strut tower if you were facing the front of the car.

generic short-ram
    generic strut tower bar
    hid bulbs all around
    amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

it was like that on my Lude too, except I don't have ABS, so if that's in the way I can't help you. But for the short thing, put the bases of the bar on the screws they go on, put the bolts in the strut tower bar lightly, then tighten down the bases, then tighten the bolts in the strut tower bar.

Comment

get some pics uploaded, and maybe we can give some advice
      -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
      -1993 Accord EX SOLD
      -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
      -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by hondatuner4267
        get some pics uploaded, and maybe we can give some advice
        ^What he said.^ Or we can meet up some time and i can look at it.
        "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Finally got the pics uploaded. Here they are. Everything looks normal from a distance, but it is very obvious when up close. Sorry about the unfocused shots and the dirty car. Didn't have time to clean her before hand! On with the pics.

generic short-ram
          generic strut tower bar
          hid bulbs all around

Comment

from what I'm seeing in the pics it looks as if there are no nuts there, were they ever there or did you lose them?
            If they aren't there you can go to a honda dealer and get the right size nuts or go to a hardware store and get some replacements
            -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Dude you need nuts there, those are what holds the upper A-arms on.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                Dude you need nuts there, those are what holds the upper A-arms on.

WHAT???????????????

anyway dont take that advice its wrong, those nuts hold the strut on & in place not the upper a arm. anway your proble is quite simple..

just take the STRUT BAR off and loosen up the ends and it wont be so short, thats why the ends are threaded!!!
                .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Originally posted by '93EX
                  I have stretched the bar's hinges to their maximum,
                  So either you recieved the wrong part or you could try doing this......jack up the front end, that will possibly change the flex of the frame.Which might I stress might give you that little extra length you are looking for.I hope this helps man.later
                  Last edited by flyinlow; 07-19-2006, 01:16 AM.

Comment

yea man, get that shit checked...hahaha
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

well i wouldnt jack the car up, thats gunna make the suspension travel and make those bolts go down even further, line up the bolts and have someone push on the fender to see if u can thread a nut on there

Comment

the fender will dent before the chassis flexes.

just adjust the threaded ends of the strut bar. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                          the fender will dent before the chassis flexes.

just adjust the threaded ends of the strut bar. later.
                          yeah no kiddin..How did you install it n e wayz? Did you bolt up the bar to the 2 mounts, and THEN try to bolt it on to the car altogether?

Here, try this..Take off the bar, then bolt on BOTH mounts to each end of the car (That way you can actually use all 3 bolts per side instead of one [Which is very unsafe ] ) And once you get those mounts mounted solid on the car with all the 3 bolts on each side, and THEN you can try to make the bar fit..Lookin at the pics, seems like you put both ends of the bar all the way in, and not all the way out..

Try it out, maybe it'll work G'luck..

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

I have all of the nuts.

I didn't realize that the hinges were threaded. I did not adjust that at all. Let me go do that now and see what happens. Thanks!

generic short-ram
                            generic strut tower bar
                            hid bulbs all around

Comment

Originally posted by '93EX
                              I have all of the nuts.

I didn't realize that the hinges were threaded. I did not adjust that at all. Let me go do that now and see what happens. Thanks!
                              that will DEFINITELY solve your problem. take the bar off compeltely, adjust, and reinstall.

Comment

Working...
                              X