Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks/Springs close to stock but slightly stiffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks/Springs close to stock but slightly stiffer?

I have a 91 LX and want to change the shocks/springs. I don't really care if I get a drop or not however wouldn't mind dropping it a little, might look good, but I do NOT want to be worrying about scraping the front or anything like that.

I basically need recommendation on a good, solid combination. I don't have a budget set aside exactly however don't have the money for something like the Koni Yellows. I've been reading around quite a bit and the Neuspeed ones might not be bad but they have a bit too much of a drop.

I think I'd like to purchase a combination set that is proven to work well. Any recommendations?

In a worst case scenario I'll just buy new stock ones or whatever my mechanic recommends.

well, the neuspeeds have two different models...the RACE is the one that gives you the bigger drop and cushier handling...but if you go with the SOFSPORTS (black springs), they give you a little stiffer of a ride and you only get about a .75 drop front/rear... so it sounds like those would be perfect for what youre looking to get....

as for the struts? the most popular budget shocks are KYB AGX's or some Tokico Blues... everyone seems to be selling a set on these boards and ebay.... just look around you should be good....hope this helps...
    1993 CB7
    2001 BB6

Comment

You're forgetting the Neuspeed Sport. They're a 1.8/1.5 Drop. They're a nice compromise between too low and not noticing a drop. I have them and I have no issues with them at all. Paired with AGX they give a very close to stock ride, with a much improved road feel and handling. I'm also using a Neuspeed 4 point strut brace, as well as Z-rated Summer tires, so I'm sure that plays a roll. Howeve,r I don't have a rear sway bar, so I don't know how that's affecting my handling.

If that's too much of a drop...look into the Eibach Pro-kit. It's a subtle drop, but a more perfromance oriented spring.

I really caution against the Sofsport as I just think that you'd be displased because it might actually raise your car, as years of sitting on the stock suspension have allowed the springs to sag.

As far as struts are concerned, skip the GR2's altogether. The Tokico blues are a good budget strut if you don't have much money to spend, but I've been hearing comments that they're very stiff. Something like the AGX or the Tokico Illumina will allow you to setup your supesnion the way you want. They're more of a mid-level priced strut.

My setup is Neuspeed Sport and KYB AGX, and I definitely recommend it for someone that wants a drop that's not extreme.

Comment

Working...
      X