Front knocking sound: details inside:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front knocking sound: details inside:

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Scott and I've just become a member of the CB7 family. I've been a CR-X driver for almost 8 years, so Honda is nothing new to me. But the nice ride of an Accord is . I bought a 1993 SE Coupe, pretty mint. 126k miles. Here is a pic before I ask the question I'm posting this for...

FYI: The owner canned the spoiler because he didn't like it. I don't mind because I think CBs look ultra clean with no spoiler. Just my opinion.

mmmm JDM CR-Xness....

Now off to my question! I have this clicking/knocking in the front, front meaning both sides of the wheels. During the period when the car is cold the knockin is worse, happening over the slightest bumps... when the suspension has warmed up a good bit, it only happens over larger bumps. My first thought is struts... but to save my self the hassle of looking I took it to Honda (doesn't mean they ARE always correct) and they said the struts and shocks were good. My friend (ex honda tech) said it could be the sway bar endlinks.

Has anyone had this problem before, and what was your band-aid to get it fixed up?

Thank you and I'll be enjoying this forum (already have been). Thank you for reading and any replies!

-Scott
    Last edited by tweakit; 01-22-2006, 07:10 PM.
    My Ride

best bet is to just crawl under the car, and make sure everything is tight. Check the UCA's, and sway bar endlinks. Although the endlinks will also make a click when you start from a stop, and when you stop.

Both cars look very clean btw. There are two around here just like that except with no tint.

Comment

ive been meaning to get under the car but i am down at school and dont have access to a nice, safe jack (at least one that i trust being under the car with) and my friend with a hydro lift wont be able to let me use it till later. just seeing if anyone had an idea.

My Ride

Comment

my car is doin the same thing...when i go over bumps or speedbumps etc. , i hear a noise like that from the front of my car. i dont recall bottom'ing out or anything.
        1993 Honda Accord LX
        2006 Yamaha R6
        2004 Acura TSX

Comment

a knocking sound would most likely be a ball joint. I've heard the clicking comes from worn bearings.

Comment

I think it's the swaybar end links also. You don't need to lift the car to do a visual inspection. Just get down on one knee and bend down. If they are bad enough to be making noises the visual inspection will be enough... the rubber bushings will be gone.
            It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

my guess is the end links...my car is also doing that and i checked last week and theyre pretty much gone

Originally posted by fizzbob7
              first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
              Originally posted by ACC0RD22
              no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
              So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

I just read on another forum that the greese in the lower ball joints dry up and then make a knocking sound also.
                It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

have you checked your strut mounts?
                  1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                  4.0L I-6 2WD
                  293k miles, still running strong.
                  Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

dude. your car is MINT

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      dude. your car is MINT

haha thanks. its my project car.... Project: Stock

thanks everyone. tomorrow during the light (and the freezing ass cold) ill do all the visual inspections i can do and see what i find. Thank you!

by the way. i just sold that CR-X today $3700 bucks. she's in good hands though.

anyway, OFF TO THE CB7!
                      My Ride

Comment

If the car is swaying more than usual, then its the swaybar bushings. I need to replace mine, sometimes it feels the car will tip over when driving on curved portions of the highway.

Comment

Working...
                        X