Strut Bar Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut Bar Install

Okay, I ran a quick search for information about installing strut bars and came up with nil. I also realize that to most people with half a brain, installation seems rediculously simple. But I'm an engineer.

When installing strut bars, what load should be on the wheels. Because the bars are adjustable, you'd want to put them on either:
    a) when the suspension is in perfect alignment
    b) in such a way that the suspension deforms to the "perfect" position when cornering hard.

I'm guessing a) is the correct answer, because then you don't compromise straight-line driveability (and tire wear) for cornering performance, which leads to another question.

Is the suspension alignment perfect when the suspension is loaded or unloaded? Obviously, the suspension geometry will change when the weight of the car is put onto the struts. Did the Honda engineers design the chassis and body such that the suspension would be in the optimal alignment when the weight was off the cars, or did they take static deformation int account and design the suspension to be in perfect alignment under the weight of the car.

Maybe I'm just being anal, but as I'll be installing a set this week, I want to make sure I do it right. I want the bars to be completely neutral when my suspension's in perfect alignment to limit deflection either way. In other words, I don't want the bars pushing or pulling my suspension out of perfect alignment due to making them the incorrect length.

Thanks.
    I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

what strut bar is adjustable?

the only way the alignment would be "perfect" would be to assume that the car has been aligned within specs/your specs/what someone tells you what the specs are.

the answer to:
    Is the suspension alignment perfect when the suspension is loaded or unloaded?
    seems quite obvious, as you've already pointed out. how can you have an aligment with no weight on the car? obviously the weight of the car, as well as height of the suspension play a role.

i don't think you're being anal... you're overthinking/overcomplicating a simple issue.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
      what strut bar is adjustable?
      Due to the screw-in ends, I'd think that just about any multi-piece strut bar is "adjustable". It's just a matter of fitting the bar to the chassis vs. fitting the chassis to the bar.

As for having the suspension loaded, I agree that it's probably the correct way to install a strut bar, but I recall once seeing a post either here or on honda-tech advising to lift the car and remove weight from the wheels before installing the bar, and was wondering what the consensus was on this procedure.
      I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

Comment

yeah, your over thinking this way too much. I installed my front upper strut bar a couple days ago and I just went out to the garage, took at the socket set and bolted it in. There's no no adjusting that you need to do. Just bolt it down and make sure it's tightly screwed on each end so it feels like it's part of the chassis when you grab it.

Comment

I am just gonna add to this instead of making a new thread.

I was talking to my dad and he said that it probably wouldn't be smart to just install it while it's sitting there since undoing the nuts, the suspension could push the car up. So jacking it up so that the wheels were still on the ground but that the suspension wasn't so loaded down as much..

What do you think? go out there pop the hood and bolt it in right there with all weight on it? or jack it up just a little so the springs don't push the engine into your face when you are unbolting the suspension?

Comment

I have done it both ways, think I originally did it with the wheels off ground back years ago as my 2nd mod. Since then, i find no point of doing anything other than unbolting it and taking it off/putting it on.

Nothing should move at all when you take out the bolts as there is nowhere for anything to go. There may be the tinyest amount of flex from putting the weight of the car down on the shock towers, but that amount would most likely be .003 inches so there is really nothing to worry about.

edit:

I have seen one alignment places actually take a little bit of negative camber out of the front tires by prying the top of the shock towards the outside and bolting it down. So i guess it is possible to change it a little bit, but he got a big .1 of a degree.. nothing to worry about. Of course, as soon as I hit a speed bump or anything in the road, that adjustment with the bolts would slide back to where it was previously unless the bolts were totally over tightened down, and I would rather have .1degree extra of neg. camber instead of stripped bolts.
            Last edited by aero; 02-19-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

so does that mean jack it up or don't jack it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Lantis
                so does that mean jack it up or don't jack it up?
                you will get the same results, so dont waste your time jacking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by aero
                  you will get the same results, so dont waste your time jacking it up.
                  ok, as long as it's not gonna spring up and hit me in the face or anything like my dad said it would. .

Comment

You can't adjust camber out by moving the shocks out on top, this only works with a Macpherson style strut. My brother runs an S14, so he would benefit from upper camber plates....but our CB7s shock mounting point is not on the spindle like the nissan, it's on the lower control arm. Therfor, that would have no effect on camber.
                    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

strut tower install

Both for my rear strut tower and my front one it extremely easy...I think everyone is making it into to big of a deal. Simply unbolt throw the bar on then tighten it up...Its that easy. Nothing sprung up and hit me in the face and nothing moved anywhere
                      I look...You look
                      I rev...You rev
                      I win...You lose

vspooled

Comment

i found my strut bar easier to put on when there was no load ont he wheels.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X