My suspension is falling apart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My suspension is falling apart!

So now I have this rattling and squeaking coming from the rear driver's side. I checked and made sure every bolt on the assembly was tight and they all were, as well as the collar and the Ground Controls. It doesn't seem like it's the shock. The rattling comes up whenever going over a rough road. Is it time for a new control arm/ball joint?

I guess this is what I get for buying a car with over 200,000 miles...

Possible, there was a TSB (Technician Service Bulletin) about a sound developing in the upper rear the TSB says it comes from the strut mount underneath and to lithium grease it up, you could try that and see what happens.

Comment

Really? I have the same problem on the other side. Any link to the TSB? This has been driving me nuts!!!

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Can anyone else chime in on this? I drove it around some more today and it almost sounds as if the actual coil spring is moving around. I'm also suspecting that the shock may be bad, which is where the sqeaking comes from.

How can you check to see if you have bad ball joints?

Comment

make sure the upper control is securely tightened to the car...mine was loose due to a faulty camber kit and it rattled nasty over rough roads

Originally posted by fizzbob7
          first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
          Originally posted by ACC0RD22
          no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
          So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Originally posted by 92wH22
            Can anyone else chime in on this? I drove it around some more today and it almost sounds as if the actual coil spring is moving around. I'm also suspecting that the shock may be bad, which is where the sqeaking comes from.

How can you check to see if you have bad ball joints?
            Spring/shock/bushings ... how can anyone tell "where" a sound comes from when they are all within inches of each other?

A good visual inspection should reveal if the coil spring has rotated and is no longer sitting correctly on the spring perch. Just look at the bottom where it sits in the perch. But that scenario should be rare, especially with stock springs because they're so long.

On the other hand, if the coil spring has broken (both of my fronts were broken) due to rust all bets are off.

If your car has 200k and the shocks look OEM (black with faint white markings on them) replace them. Even the normal low-grade replacements you get at tire stores might also be bad by now if they were replaced a while ago.

Can't help much with ball joints. All I've ever read said to yank and wiggle shit around and see "if there's any play". Also, a torn or dried-out boot on the ball joint should be a clue.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
              Spring/shock/bushings ... how can anyone tell "where" a sound comes from when they are all within inches of each other?

A good visual inspection should reveal if the coil spring has rotated and is no longer sitting correctly on the spring perch. Just look at the bottom where it sits in the perch. But that scenario should be rare, especially with stock springs because they're so long.

On the other hand, if the coil spring has broken (both of my fronts were broken) due to rust all bets are off.

If your car has 200k and the shocks look OEM (black with faint white markings on them) replace them. Even the normal low-grade replacements you get at tire stores might also be bad by now if they were replaced a while ago.

Can't help much with ball joints. All I've ever read said to yank and wiggle shit around and see "if there's any play". Also, a torn or dried-out boot on the ball joint should be a clue.
              Well, my suspension isn't stock. I'm running Ground Controls w/ Tokico shocks that are less than a year old. Nothing is broken, although I am suspecting the shock may be out. As far as everything being in place, it's all good.

I'm running out of ideas...

Comment

Working...
              X