Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camber Kits (Rear)

Rear Camber Kits
    When lowering an automobile, you create negative camber. The camber angle alters the handling qualities of a particular suspension design - in particular, negative camber improves grip when cornering. This is because it presents the tire, which is taking the greatest proportion of the cornering forces, at a more optimal angle to the road, increasing its contact area and transmitting the forces through the vertical plane of the tire, rather than through a shear force across it.

On the other hand, for maximum straight-line acceleration, obviously the greatest traction will be attained when the camber angle is zero and the tread is flat on the road.

A camber kit is the solution to be able to adjust and fine tune how your car handles.
    On our cars (most Hondas in general), there are two options for the rear. Either buying a kit, or using washers to shim out the upper arm. For just a few degrees, washers will work fine.

What brands are out there, how much do they cost, and what do people think about them?

Complete upper rear arm

Washer Method

For the washer method, you are just going to use 2-3 washers, and shim out the upper rear control arm.

This is not a picture of a cb7, but it is the same (two bolts per side). The circled area is where we are going to add the washers.

The most commonly used washers are just fender washers, make sure to get the same exact ones for each side so that the camber in both is even.

-3/8" ID washers are what you need, I use 1-2 on each bolt, so get about 12 just so you have extras.
    -Some of the blue locktight wouldnt be a bad idea(not permanent stuff, just good stuff so it doesnt loosen up)
    -as long as you only use 1-2 or even 3 washers on each bolt, the stock bolt will work fine. If more than that, take a bolt to Ace, and match it up for one slightly longer.
    -general idea is for each washer you add, you will take away about .5deg. of negative camber.

For reference, Cisco(Hondafan81) used 2 washers per bolt for his drop on Neuspeed Race springs(2" rear drop), and it put him right in the camber range.

Loosen both bolts slightly, but only take one out at a time. This way it is much easier to keep it lined up while adding washers. Be sure to thread in the bolt after taking it in by hand a few revolutions since messing up the threads would NOT be good. This is what it should look like.

If you got equal sized washers all around, an alignment shouldnt be needed, but it is always a good thing to get one whenever messing with any suspension component.

The information in this post is believed to be true, but is only backed up by my opinion. Attempt any How-to's, DIY's or advice at your own risk, stay safe, and remember to use jack stands, not just a jack.
    Last edited by aero; 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM.

thats what i did to my car. screw that expensive camber kit. i got my car lowered almost 3.5 and i just had the alignment shop just set the tow.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord
      thats what i did to my car. screw that expensive camber kit. i got my car lowered almost 3.5 and i just had the alignment shop just set the tow.
      yeah, MOST people use the washers, why pay for an adjustable arm. Only reason I could see it would be a better idea is adjusting the camber back there a lot, or you messed up your stock one and OEM is too expensive.

Too bad the front isnt as simple as some washers.

Comment

i should do this in the spring.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
          Me too..
          1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
          2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
          3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
          4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
          5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
            Hey Starch .. you should do this in the spring !

Nice write up Brandon .. I never even touched my rear when we installed the Eibach's.
            But the front .. now that was a whole nother story ..

Happy Holidays !!!
            Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

very good write up..cause i was wondering about this!

Check Out My Car

Comment

yup, i have two washers on all sides and the camber is still within range (just a lil negative)
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i cant get the bolts off!!! maybe ill try on a day thats not as cold

Comment

One day at work I had to do a front and rear camber kit on a del sol. so we got he parts from a auto parts store. They had them in stock. front were like normal one and the rear were shims. Moog makes them. So it came with 4 shims, one bigger then the other total of 4. so i used the thicker one for the del sol and kept the other set. i used the other set for my ek. now the camber is perfect. still have to get a front camber kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
                      i cant get the bolts off!!! maybe ill try on a day thats not as cold

If you have a torch, that could help a little. Just make sure that your gas line isnt in direct contact with the flame

Comment

haha i wont, thanks. i might give that a try tomorrow

Comment

thx a million for this write up

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTUFFGUY View Post
                            thx a million for this write up
                            werd up

Purchased from: 90-JDMCB7, cb95spd, 92_dr_p, ukaccord92, slammed4thgen, 93a-lude, h22anow, cb7addicted, H22WAGON93, tonymontana1204, agol, Joshy

Sold to: di2accord

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf
                              with the washer thing, many people do it. but Im not 100% sure on it. cuz it would seem like it pushes the wheel out a bit
                              is this true?
                              Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                              Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                              JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Working...
                              X