PROOF that shocks affect your car's height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROOF that shocks affect your car's height

1. I work at Pep Boys and shocks in boxes are always packaged so the shaft is latched down. I think brand new shocks are pressurized, so they always push up.

2. My right rear shock is blown and its noticeably lower than the left side ...

So in short I imagine stiffer shocks might make a car sit higher than it normally would, as shocks for trucks and stuff are impossible to push down. Just my $.02 for anyone who was wondering.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Depends on the shocks. Some shocks are highly pressurized (Bilstein comes in mind), and could possibly affect the ride height. Where as Koni sports are low pressurized. Sure, they all come fully extended when you buy them and open them from the box. But at least w/ the Koni's, you can easily push the piston down all the way with little-to-no effort depending on the stiffness which you dial in.

The stiffness of the shocks come from adjusting the internal valves which lets air pass from one chamber to another. Obviously the smaller the valve, the more resistence to movement there will be. Wide open valve will allow for faster/easier movement.

Most shocks are the low-pressure variety. Height is much more dependant on your springs, not from your shocks (unless you physically move the perch heights).
    Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

i doubt it...if the shock's inner tube(s) lose pressure, then they have no choice but to sag...as they no longer have the internal pressure to push back upwards...the car will sit where it naturally would if all you had under it were springs, rather than both shocks and springs..

Comment

i know what you are talking about with a blown strut causing the car to sag, but you can compress any strut with your arm. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I think an old saggy spring with 100k would also affect it as well.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

My AGXs and all AGXs I've seen have made drops less.. just look at my member's ride thread. I'm on Neuspeed Race and it sits like I'm on pro kits

Comment

wow i might agree with you about the AGXs

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Me too, they definitely drop me more, I'm on H&R Sports and it still def sits below 2 inches..., but the H&R's are supposed to be 1.7 in front and 1.5 in the back (correct me if im wrong)

Comment

i tell u what i agree with the agx. i had the stock struts with my 3in drop springs and my car felt lower with that setup than with the agx. thats the only thing that i do hate. it feels like at least .5in difference

Comment

also depends how much weight you have int he car when the springs are settling.
                    i have the agx and h&r race setup and i have a pretty good gap.
                    compared to someone with a neuspeed race or soemthing, they have little to no wheel gap.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                      also depends how much weight you have int he car when the springs are settling.
                      i have the agx and h&r race setup and i have a pretty good gap.
                      compared to someone with a neuspeed race or soemthing, they have little to no wheel gap.
                      Neuspeed Race on KYB AGX.... tons of gap

Comment

Do Illuminas raise the car like AGXs?

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I don't know bout the Illuminas but I agree on the AGX raising the car because I am one of the victim.

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X