Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy shaking at 60mph+ ... what could be doing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy shaking at 60mph+ ... what could be doing it?

Ok, my 92 DX shakes like a chihuahua on crack when it hits about 60mph.

When going around a bend (like when the highway curves) it seems to lessen.

The only things I know of that can cause shaking at high speeds are wheel balance, suspension components, and the rack and pinion gears (I recently read that, don't know if it applies to our cars or not).

The suspension components ARE worn out. I think they're original. I don't think they're any worse than the ones on my LX were, and that never shook like this.

The wheels are stock steelies, and appear to have been balanced. I did nothing to them myself though.

I have no idea how to check if it's anything in the steering system. It steers fine. Reacts sharply, and goes straight.

Are there any other things that could cause shaking at high speeds?

Oh yeah, the car was sideswiped and repaired at some point. I'm actually going outside right now to jack it up and finally get a good look at it. I haven't done that yet!

omg i have the same proble right at 65 mph my car shakes vigorasly does anyone what the problem could be cv joints?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      Ok, my 92 DX shakes like a chihuahua on crack when it hits about 60mph.
      i think the wing needs to be adjusted.

seriously though. iv always been boggled with shaking cars, i can never seem to figure out what causes it

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

My LX never did it... I dunno. The steering components are a new thing to me. I'm wondering (and hoping not!) if that could be it.

I'll most likely change the suspension components first, and when I can afford tires for my Falkens, the OEMs that I have on the LX are going on the DX... so that takes care of those things. If it still shakes, it's either the steering, or something unknown.

Comment

alignment? tire balancing? tires not torqued right? suspension issues? one of those lol...

Comment

It doesn't pull, so I'm thinking the alignment is ok... though my Falkens didn't pull when they were out of alignment, and the tires wore out insanely fast... so maybe I'm a bad judge of alignment!

Comment

Originally posted by srsskyline
              alignment? tire balancing? tires not torqued right? suspension issues? one of those lol...

What he said, and you car doesn't have to pull to have alignment issues. Tires out of balance will be a vibration more than a shaking. Struts with bad inner seals will seem fine at lower speeds and even when taken off will provide a good test by being solid on compression but will shake like a mutha at higher speeds. Shakes are a bitch to figure out just got to check it out and single things out by testing.

Comment

The shocks feel solid when I press on the corners of the car (I had a blown shock recently, and I know what that feels like...) It's possible that the shocks could be... well... "half blown"? I never heard of that, but it's certainly a possibility!

I just took some pics, and a video of a strange sound it's making (sounds like there's some play in the transmission or something...) Uploading pics now.

Comment

Well lookie what I found! Could that be an issue, perhaps? I mean, I KNOW it's an issue, but could it be a culprit in the shaking?
                  Last edited by deevergote; 10-17-2005, 04:35 PM.

Comment

tie rods could be bad or a bad wheel bearing. take it to a shop and have em put it up on a lift so they can check it out. they shouldnt charge u anything if they do free estimates

Comment

cv joints can cause vibration/shaking.
                      if theres a rip in the boot and all the grease leaks out and dirt/water get in. the joint gets messed up.
                      my car shook like hell after about 65mph. other symptoms i had were : the shaking stopped when i let off the gas to decelerate : it would get worse when you stomp on the gas to pass, race, etc. and finally : the shaking would change going over bumps, around turns.

if it were wheel balancing, youd feel it no matter how fast youre going.

my bet would be bad CV shafts.
                      lifes better in a wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by 93wagonEX
                        cv joints can cause vibration/shaking.
                        if theres a rip in the boot and all the grease leaks out and dirt/water get in. the joint gets messed up.
                        my car shook like hell after about 65mph. other symptoms i had were : the shaking stopped when i let off the gas to decelerate : it would get worse when you stomp on the gas to pass, race, etc. and finally : the shaking would change going over bumps, around turns.

if it were wheel balancing, youd feel it no matter how fast youre going.

my bet would be bad CV shafts.
                        exactly what I was going to post... If it does it mostly when accelerating at highway speeds or also engine breaking, do the axles. My h22 + autocross wore mine out w/o breaking the boots, and I had a nasty vibration at highway speeds.

If it does it ALL the time, no matter how much gas you give it, its something else, unless the axles are really bad.

Comment

check the upper and lower ball joints all around. also could be your tires..my dad's camry had a massive bulge on the tire...made a bad racket...lol
                          also..could be tire balancing...most likely either tires or ball joints..

Comment

One tire in the back does have a small bubble... and of course the upper ball joints are complete trash... The passenger side hubcap is smashed (and it was hit on that side) so that may have thrown the wheel balance off. So many possibilities!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and possible confirmations. I feel I have a much better direction to go in now! I'm off tomorrow, so I'm going to give it some attention then.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. It all ended up being the tires. Had bubbles, one right after I bought a new one, then the other. etc.... I hated that. But I bought all new tires and everything went smooth until the CV Joint went bad. If it was not for bad luck, I would have none at all.
                              Taking over the world one drift at a time!

Comment

Working...
                              X