Stock strut replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock strut replacement?

I'm returning my car to stock, taking off my Sportline/Koni Yellows setup. What brands of struts do you guys recommend for *stock* springs and ride quality? I heard KYB GR2's are a good stock replacement, any others I should look at?

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
    We got something to say!
    Police this, condemn this, damn this
    We'll be heard anyway!
    Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

you want to go stock ride height but still want performance im assuming otherwise youd just go oem, most companies tokico, KYB, make oem replacement struts and i know neuspeed, eibach, H & R all make a minimal drop spring, around .75 inch.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Well new Honda struts are just too pricey, and I don't want to risk using "pre-owned" ones. I've already purchased a set of of used OEM springs, I'm just wondering what other brands of struts to consider using with them for a stock ride feeling. I don't want "performance" or adjustable stuff, just a nice reliable strut that has good ride quality.

We got something to say!
      We'll be heard anyway!
      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

just get whatever and invest in a rear sway bar or a nice set of sticky tires.
        that'll cover the handling part, as for the ride quality. also depends what condition your springs are in and what tires you have.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Well I've been doing some searching, and KYB GR2's are about the only stock replacement shock available. Everything else is performance, which I'm obviously trying to get away from. Trying to find the best price, looks like I'm stuck paying at least 160 for a set of these new.

We got something to say!
          We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by evol90accord
            Well I've been doing some searching, and KYB GR2's are about the only stock replacement shock available. Everything else is performance, which I'm obviously trying to get away from. Trying to find the best price, looks like I'm stuck paying at least 160 for a set of these new.
            im my opinion, that aint bad at all.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

are u selling it? if u are get some gabriels from local auto place...lol who cares...i got some stock springs =)
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Autozone and Checker have some strut that I've never heard of and its actually more expensive than the KYB's. I'm not selling the car, I'm moving up to Flagstaff, and the roads just suck balls. I might have to get rid of my low profile tires as well, since its already bent 3 of my rims.

We got something to say!
                We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

Okay, nevermind on the stock strut replacements. I'm just going to stick with the Koni's with stock springs. I was going to replace them because someone told me (and my mechanic repeated it) that Koni's were developed for use with lowering springs only and they wouldn't work with OEM springs because they are taller and would stretch the piston out past its optimum valve range. That is total BS. I called Koni today and they told me they are originally designed to be used with OEM springs, but can also be used in lowering applications.

Great, so now I get the best of both worlds! I can tighten up my shocks if I need a sportier ride but retain my stock ride height so I don't put holes in my oil pan and scrap my front crossmember to all hell! The cool thing about Yellos is the adjustable spring perch, so if I really feel the need I can lower it a little more than half an inch. Hey every little bit helps right?

We got something to say!
                  We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

I drive down a shitty dirt road to work and I'm at stock height. I drive slow as hell and still scrape.
                    My Ride!
                    Anti-Idiot Crew #1

Comment

Then I'm sure you can understand my pain. Phoenix roads aren't that great but they're definately tolerable.. not nearly as bad as Chicago's or some other eastern states I've been to that get a lot of snow. However Flagstaff is the only time I've ever had to slam on my brakes to avoid being swallowed by a pothole. It literally would have just stopped my car dead in its tracks if I had hit it head on and bottomed out! I'm 99.9% sure Flag is the reason I have bent rims too... but such is life. I have to move there, so the best i can do is try to fix my car before I go up.

We got something to say!
                      We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

id take out the konis...and autozone has struts for our cars for 25 bucks each...u can always go to a junkyard for 6 bucks a strut....
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Autozone here does not have struts for 25 bucks each. They're more like 45. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, because I'm broke as a joke. If the Koni's will work, I'll keep em. No sense in taking out perfectly good lifetime warranty struts to replace them with POS struts, or even worse *used* struts. Its not going to affect ride quality so much to me that I'll notice a difference.

We got something to say!
                          We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

Working...
                          X