Who here has done their own suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&page=16&pp=15

check that page and the next...I replaced just about everything suspension wise and upgraded the front brakes and did the rotor-over-hub conversion in the meantime.

let me know if you have any questions, email or AIM me
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Ditto. And I did swapped the rear trailing arm assemblies to get rear disc brakes at the same time too. This was a three day project for me because of all that work!

BTW I ended up with an extra Energy Suspension front mount insert for manual transmission if anyone's interested. Just found it in my garage today, still in the packaging!

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
      We got something to say!
      Police this, condemn this, damn this
      We'll be heard anyway!
      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&page=16&pp=15

check that page and the next...I replaced just about everything suspension wise and upgraded the front brakes and did the rotor-over-hub conversion in the meantime.

let me know if you have any questions, email or AIM me
        Aha! Excellent!

And thanks for the offer of help too, I appreciate it.

If all my parts come in it will be suspension weekend. Struts, springs, bushings... If I can score the parts for this too, I'll be doing the rotor-over-hub and Prelude VTEC brake upgrade as well. Might as well do it while it's all apart.
        Bart: What's your name?
        Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

Oh how I envy you... that was a such a fun project I did it twice. Have fun! And for the love of all that is holy don't forget the alignment when you finish! I remember that yummy ES grease for the bushings... woohoo that was a blast.

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
          We got something to say!
          Police this, condemn this, damn this
          We'll be heard anyway!
          Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

I put my springs in...my car's been through a rough NY winter but was a VA car in its past life. All I needed to get things going was a breaker bar; from there everything else was basically clockwork...nothing broke or anything. Hmm. But yea just use a breaker bar and MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD rust remover/spray grease/lubricant, and make sure you have a whole day to do your thing because you'll need it. Finally, use a screwdriver to align the back lower shock fork bolts, I didn't know that tip and the backs literally took me hours....

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

PB Blaster is my best friend.

Screwdriver to align the rear lower fork? Do tell... Wait, is this to align the upper mounting plate with the bolt holes in the chassis? Basically mount the fork with a screwdriver, line the upper plate with the chassis then finish reassembling the damper?

Comment

Crap, few more questions on the rear end...

Did you have to pop the upper ball joint or not?

What about the bushings for the trailing arm and the two lower arms? Did you mess with those?

Comment

Bushings? Upper ball joint? Hell no...it's actually really simple. When I say use a screwdriver, I mean for the one huge bottom bolt that connects the shock fork to the hub assembly. Just put it where the bolt comes out, align it with the hole in the hub assembly, and pop the bolt into the side it comes in...if I had pics I could show you more easily; but basically you just use it to align stuff.

If you can disconnect the upper ball joint that would make popping the shock assembly out much, much easier...but even without that it's still possible.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Ok, got the screwdriver trick, thanks.

I was asking if you replaced the rear bushings. There are five other bushings under there. One where the trailing arm meets the chassis and then one on either end of both of the lower arms.

There's also another where the upper control arm meets the chassis.

Outside of the one upper bushing, it looks like the five lower ones can be replaced without disassembling the entire works, I'll just wait on those. I'll probably upgrade my rear sway bar at some point, I can do them then if I need to.

If I can find a slick way to get that ball joint out of the knuckle I will. When I did my front brakes I used a three jaw puller to pop them and though it worked, it was a bitch.

Comment

Working...
                    X