Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally gonna drop it (If I can afford to!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally gonna drop it (If I can afford to!)

My car has been on stock springs and shocks ever since I bought it. Eight years later, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that I really do want to lower it. Money is always an issue, but I just graduated college, so I have a little graduation money to play with. Here's what it looks like now:

I am looking for a shock/spring combination that will halve this gap or better, probably 1.5" or 1.8" I want quality parts, but I'm on a budget. Would anyone offer their advice? Thanks in advance.

=ben=

And the ninjas had sweet victory, and there was much rejoicing.

me, myself am buying the OMNI power coilovers...at 650 shipped the price is just right, along with the nice and stiff spring rates the "sport" setup offers. its a question of budget really so you can figure you can build your optimal setup on how much you want/have to spend. there are multiple threads on this board about suspension, try keywords of brands we all come to trust and love, eibach, tein, etc. but dont forget about the three letter filter..

EDIT: nice car, come join me and a few others in the Seattle Silver Crew, you would be member #7...hehehe

Comment

just get lowering springs and shocks if you want a good ride. Your gonna pay more for heigh adjustability. Eibach pro-kit 1.2 inch drop doesnt require a camber kit and the sportline (1.8) drop does.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

i have the eibach prokit....yea its lower than stock but 2 to 3 finger gap all the way around, i cant complain...i hate our bumps =)

maybe eibach sportlines....they are like a 1.8 drop...though my friend has that drop and it doesnt have any affect on his camber.

i paid like 212 for my springs. best thing i bought for my accord...
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
          i have the eibach prokit....yea its lower than stock but 2 to 3 finger gap all the way around, i cant complain...i hate our bumps =)

maybe eibach sportlines....they are like a 1.8 drop...though my friend has that drop and it doesnt have any affect on his camber.

i paid like 212 for my springs. best thing i bought for my accord...
          how was the install on those? was it easy to resposition the upper mount after you mounted it on? and did you need a spring compressor to mount those?

Comment

it was easy. the only thing was was that i needed the spring compressor for the stock springs.

but putting it back on was a breze...yet its the same for any other spring =)

good 3 to 4 hour job.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

go with some H&R sports w/ KYB AGX's they have a 1.75"F and 1.5"R. Since I just got job i'm saving up for the Supercup kit , oh yeah and don't forget a camber kit

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                it was easy. the only thing was was that i needed the spring compressor for the stock springs.

but putting it back on was a breze...yet its the same for any other spring =)

good 3 to 4 hour job.
                I'm on neuspeed race, so no spring compressor to take out stocks . You took 3-4 hours? That seems like a pretty long time to me.

Comment

Front install for me was easier; the back would be easy as hell if I had known how to line everything up early. Hint- use a screwdriver or some kind of thin thing and put that through the NUT side...then just push the bolt in through the free side and push the screwdriver out with it. Friggin ingenious.

Anyways as far as dropping the car for cheap, all you need are SOFT springs. Get some Sprints, Tanabe DF210s or Tein S-Techs- they're all fine on stock struts from what I know. I've had my Tanabes for about a month, and yea, the ride's a little stiffer and louder, and yes, I blew my front right strut, but it still rides fine...and I only blew the strut because I've been through 2 or 3 insane NYC potholes(one of which gave me two flats).

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Werd up, I am in the EXACT same boat as you dude. I wanted to save money while getting a drop no more than 2 inchs. So I went with KYB GR2's and H&R Springs I believe it's 1.8 and 1.7 inch drop. I bought the GR2's for 150 on ebay (Brand new) and the H&R's for about 160. Now I need to spend about 150 on a Camber kit. So we are talking $750 when everything is done and said with alignment and such.

Comment

When I first lowered my car I went the cheapest route I could. I spent 120 for 4 brand new kyb gr-2 shocks. Drove to pick them up (it ended up being cheaper to ship them because I took toll roads to get to his house, lol). Then I spent like 90 bucks on used neuspeed race springs and 50 for an alignment. I like how my car looks, but If I could do it all over again, I'd just save up more and get the better stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe
                        I'm on neuspeed race, so no spring compressor to take out stocks . You took 3-4 hours? That seems like a pretty long time to me.
                        one of the strut bolts held me back, basically the bolt didnt go down...and it took me a while, and i stripped the inner allen area to hold the strut.

sucks when its on the car already.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

ok for under 600....skunk2 coilovers, and KYB Gr2 struts. and if any of u r wondering about blowing the struts or bad ride quality...........stop thinking about it. good ride quality and no blown struts for over 15000 miles. and that is on a 4.2in drop on 205/40/17 muahahaha only way to go is low!!!
                          My members ride thread

Comment

This is all good information. Let's say I'm on a $500 budget, not including install. How much am I going to have to pay to get them installed?

And the ninjas had sweet victory, and there was much rejoicing.

Comment

80-130 install...

i have 2 front gr2 struts used for sale in the classifides

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                              X