Spring Settling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Settling

I have been told that it takes about 3 or 4 months for your springs to completly settle before. But then i have been told thats all bull and there is no such thing as setteling of springs. Is there and how long does it take because i have a set of Neuspeed race springs and they dont look like the 2.2 drop they said. Anybody know?
    1991 Black Accord Coupe
    Sprint Lowering Springs
    Neuspeed/Koni Sport Shocks
    Suspension Techniques Front and Rear Sway Bar
    17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
    TSX HID Retrofit with 4300K Bulbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

90% of suspension is subjecitve. in my experience, springs settle over time.

when did you install it? how stiff/soft do you have your kyb adjustables at?

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

I put them in like a month ago. The front is set at 3 and the rear at 5 or 6 (cant remember).
      1991 Black Accord Coupe
      Sprint Lowering Springs
      Neuspeed/Koni Sport Shocks
      Suspension Techniques Front and Rear Sway Bar
      17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
      TSX HID Retrofit with 4300K Bulbs
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

Comment

hahahaha ok....here is the scoop....all springs and coilovers settle. nature of physics. common people hehe. the average MILEAGE is about 500miles. after 500 miles and a few bumpy roads it should pretty much be settled in. hope this helps...have fun with the drop. (4in drop all around on KYB gr2's)
        My members ride thread

Comment

believe me or not, springs do not settle, the only difference you will see will be in the initial movement of the car as the camber evens out. after that a spring will not settle due to its spring constant(k), unless your talkign about adding more weight
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
            believe me or not, springs do not settle, the only difference you will see will be in the initial movement of the car as the camber evens out. after that a spring will not settle due to its spring constant(k), unless your talkign about adding more weight
            pictures are worth a thousand words:

november 1, immediate post install of koni yellows with neuspeed sport springs

drove around a bit

drove around some more

a month and a half later in cali

sure looks like "settling" to me.

Comment

shouldnt happen, the initial drop was the camber evening i mentioned but after te one month makes no sense. are they fixed perches? and what springs are these cause thats not very umm.... normal

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7
                shouldnt happen, the initial drop was the camber evening i mentioned but after te one month makes no sense. are they fixed perches? and what springs are these cause thats not very umm.... normal
                Originally posted by uncle_el
                immediate post install of koni yellows with neuspeed sport springs
                as i said in my first post:
                Originally posted by uncle_el
                90% of suspension is subjecitve. in my experience, springs settle over time.
                plenty of things can be said, which is why i posted the pics. you can choose to believe it or not, choose to come up with a reason here or there... but when it comes down to it, the gap appears to be closed, and decreased over a month.

Q: When Eibach suspension springs are fitted, will the car sit at the correct ride height or will it need time to settle

All Eibach suspension coils are pre-set to eliminate settling and increase life expectancy. Some minimal settling may occur as the new spring mates up to an existing rubber suspension isolator, this is normal, but is not the same as a poorly produced spring which may take a set and effect the ride height, handling and alignment of the vehicle.
                http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/pe...ibach_faqs.htm

Tech Tip: Measure your vehicle's ride height before installing Eibach Springs. This will ensure you know the amount of lowering after installation. On a level surface, measure from the upper wheel rim to the highest point of the fender well, before installation and after. And before you measure the "after" dimension, drive the car hard for ten miles to let the springs, spacers, etc. settle properly.
                http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...a_springs.html

The end result wasn’t only better, more predicable handling; we also rid ourselves of the embarrassing four-by stance. The car dropped 1.2 inches and 0.75 inch, front and rear. Edelbrock claims these springs should drop 1.60/1.30 inches front/rear, so we expect everything to settle a bit more with some hard drivin’. We’re elated that the car finally looks like it deserves those bad-boy 17-inch wheels, and it’s even more thrilling to have a chassis that makes the most of the killer rolling stock.
                http://www.carcraft.com/howto/72438/

bed springs settle, which is why mattress manufacturers recommend turning the mattress over. while they are not springs for cars, they are indeed springs, and are subject to the same physics (physics afterall is universal). also, so does a valve train with constant pressure thats why you have to keep adjusting your lash.

i can concede that all springs are not created equal, and that a stiffer spring may resist "settling" more than a spring that's less stiff, but i find it hard to say that it doesn't occur and that it's all attributable to camber.
                Last edited by uncle_el; 05-07-2005, 01:08 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

i couldnt of said it better my self...
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

what springs are you using?

Comment

he only posted it like twice...
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

a ok neuspeed sports. ok thanks

Comment

I would give it about an oil change worth of time. I notice my gap decrease a little every week untill about 2 months.
                          Last edited by CBL; 05-07-2005, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Springs do indeed settle. My car settled like uncle_el's when I first dropped it...I was really mad at first but now its fine. I just wish the front was lower.

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Setup: Neuspeed race springs & Koni/Neuspeed edition shocks (2.25" front & 2.0" rear)

Stock:

Immediately after suspension installation:

After a few days driving:

On my setup, the springs basically lowered to their "settling" state as soon as I dropped the car. I have not noticed much change in drop after installation. Nothing worth mentioning.
                              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                              X