Koni Strut Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni Strut Questions

I have been looking for options to lower my car and still have weekend non-competitive autocross ability. Koni Oranges with Neuspeed springs and Function and Form 1s are what I am set on.

My main question is do the Konis come complete or do I need to find the base, bump stopper, collar etc before it is complete?

This is a price game that comes down to price.
    Koni combo as of now. $531.88 + The other parts maybe.
    F&F. $599 + Free lugnuts!
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
    I have been looking for options to lower my car and still have weekend non-competitive autocross ability. Koni Oranges with Neuspeed springs and Function and Form 1s are what I am set on.

My main question is do the Konis come complete or do I need to find the base, bump stopper, collar etc before it is complete?

This is a price game that comes down to price.
    Koni combo as of now. $531.88 + The other parts maybe.
    F&F. $599 + Free lugnuts!
    The Konis come with nothing, just struts and stickers.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Are you still stock height? If so you can use your old bump stops and top hats. Thats what I did minus the bump stops because they fell apart trying to get them on the konis
      visit vgruk

Comment

Problem with using the old equipment is I am in no way comfortable using the rental spring compressors. I have no bench vice so I would have to stick the assembly between my crotch and in front of my face. I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not sir, and that is an idiot. How much do shops charge for compressing the springs onto the struts, best guess appreciated?

Comment

Problem with using the old equipment is I am in no way comfortable using the rental spring compressors. I have no bench vice so I would have to stick the assembly between my crotch and in front of my face. I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not sir, and that is an idiot. How much do shops charge for compressing the springs onto the struts, best guess appreciated?
          Im guessing $20 for all four. Idk though. I used H311RA151N's tractor
          visit vgruk

Comment

And I thought I was a redneck.

Comment

i didnt have to use a spring compressor when I assembled my H&R cup kit, I put my weight over the top and pushed down enough to get the nut on, then I used an impact the rest of the way.
              I bought new jounces and spring isolators from the parts store..had to get dust boots off amazon. ~50 bucks total.

taking them apart, lay it on the ground step on the spring to hold it, stay out of the way and use an impact to zip the nut off. its about as much potential as a balloon popping, the strut will shoot back like 2 feet. not dangerous. Now using a spring compressor with just the hooks, that shits dangerous, youre loading the spring to what it sees when bottoming out, if the compressors let go yeah youre dead or maimed. if you do decide to use a compressor, make sure its the kind that uses U bolts and nuts to lock the coils to the compressor. the hook type suck and are a joke.

a shop shouldnt charge more than like 12 bucks a strut if you have everything ready to go. itll take them about 15 mins to do all 4, if its a wall mount spring compressor
              Last edited by illinois_erik; 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Did not know there were compressors with the U-bolts. I would be more comfortable with that, is that the one Autozone/Orileys rents out?

Comment

And I thought I was a redneck.
                  To the core
                  visit vgruk

Comment

Did not know there were compressors with the U-bolts. I would be more comfortable with that, is that the one Autozone/Orileys rents out?
                    im not sure if that styles even rented out, another one is triangle shaped, like a big frame you lay sideways on the ground or bench, place the strut in there and run the screw down..here i found one at harbor Fright.

the problem with the hook style ones are you have to tighten each side down equally and even doing that right they still have the tendency to start going sideways, and then thats when they let loose.

Comment

Working...
                    X