Phantom Squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Squeak

I took my entire front suspension apart, overly greases everything, put it back together, and there is still a squeak when the suspension loads and unloads. I looked under the car and noticed once the sway bar settled into place it was rubbing the power steering hard line. That's all I can think that is causing the squeak and I need to get under there and move the line a few mills, but if that isn't the fix, any other ideas?
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Is it loud? Does it happen when stopping, accelerating and turning? It's a lower ball joint.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Ball joints are a few months old, and it's sqeak, not a creak.

Comment

True the lower ball joint is a creak not a squeak. When I think squeak I think rubber. Maybe a bushing? I don't think it would be a stock lower control arm or shock fork bushing but maybe if you have urathane. The upper control arm bushings even if they are stock often squeak. Might try grease on those and make sure you torque them while the suspension is under load, otherwise they squeak. And finally possibly the shock.

Comment

I greased everything already, I don't have UCA bushings, and I have new coilovers.

Comment

Unless you have swapped out for macpherson style suspension you have upper control ARM bushings, they could be squeaking because your car is lower now than it was. I would try loosening the nuts that go through the bushing loading the suspension then tightening them down

Comment

Or I have an ingals camber kit that eliminates the bushing amd makes it a solid metal connection. That is also thoroughly greased.

Comment

Could be the shocks.

Have you taken the shocks out and moved the suspension by hand to replicate the noise?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I dont think it could be my shocks, my coilovers are less than a year old. It is coming from the front passenger side. It sounds like a bushing squeak, but if overly greasef them all. I bought a mega tube of prothane super grease. I literally took ever every thing off, greased it and put it back together.

Comment

After searching the ingals website I can't find an ingals upper control arm that eliminates the bushing. I see adjustable bushings but the still use rubber or urathane. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

Its not the UCA, its anchor bolts. They are adjustable and they don't have bushings.

Comment

yes they do.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                          Or I have an ingals camber kit that eliminates the bushing amd makes it a solid metal connection. That is also thoroughly greased.
                          Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                          yes they do.
                          I missed this.

https://www.ingallseng.com/35700-357...rm-mounts.html

X2, the Ingalls only replaces the balljoint.
                          The upper arm STILL has rubber bushings . . . However the bushings don't actually rotate for memory, Much like like the lower shock bush, and lower control arm bush.

They aren't actual rotating parts, they are solid resistant rotating bushes.

End point - A solid mount can't "Squeak"

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I agree they should not rotate but if they do which they can they will sqeak. Say if you torque them down while the car is jacked up and the suspension is not loaded. Urathane or rubber alike. Or if you lower your car 2-3 inches but don't adjust the bushings at the back of the arm the median location of the arm will be stressing the bushing pushing up, and even more when you hit a bump causing a squeak. I fixed this same squeak twice this year alone. Once on my car and once diagnosed for a friend. It takes five minutes tops per side to jack up the car load the suspension loosen then torque the bolt/nut on the back of the arm. You would not be out that much if it does not work. My friend only "leveled" his coil overs moving them maybe a quarter inch. Then bam squeak. He thought shocks too.
                            What's with the endpoint?
                            It's suspension there are no definitive answers!
                            Last edited by cb7 calling; 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X