Function&Form type two knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function&Form type two knock

My front drivers side coilover is making this weird knocking noise when I go over little bumps. The shock is not bad because its not bouncing up n down.. and before anybody ask, yes all my ball joints, tie rods, and control arms are all good. . I really don't know if the coilover is bad or what.. i had them since last march. I am stumped and that noise is driving me insane.

I also did a test. I put it on all the way stiff shock setting and the knock is there.. i put it on all the way soft and its gone..

Sounds like something is broken inside the shock. Like maybe an internal leak? (just guessing here...)
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Did some research. this is exactly what its doing i can feel it right there http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=f08AQH5wxGU#!

how can i tighten it up? i tried to do it. and the whole thing just kept moving so i stopped what I was doing. Any help greatly appreciated on how to fix this. This is noise is driving me insane !

Comment

If it's anything like what I have on my D2's or any conventional tophat w/ hardware, you'd have to stop the shaft from spinning and use hand tools. Or you could tighten it up w/ an impact gun. I'm surprised that came loose, I wonder if those are nylock nuts w/ the nylon ring inside to bite the threads of the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
          If it's anything like what I have on my D2's or any conventional tophat w/ hardware, you'd have to stop the shaft from spinning and use hand tools. Or you could tighten it up w/ an impact gun. I'm surprised that came loose, I wonder if those are nylock nuts w/ the nylon ring inside to bite the threads of the shaft.
          I might do that.. I dont want to use a impact because its too much.. what I might do is take the coilover off the car and hold the shock with a vise grip and try tighten it. the top hat looks like a normal top hat. no camber adjustment just normal with the shock adjuster.

Comment

use an impact on a low setting. If you really feel you should hold the piston with a vise grip try to grab it as close to the top hat as possible. You'll most likely mark up the shaft and that will mess up the seal in the shock body should the marks ever make contact with the seal.

I've never taken the knobs off my type 2's so I don't know whats under there but alot of struts have an allen key hole in the top to hold the piston still while you tighten the top hat nut. Might want to check that out before using vise grips on the piston.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

DO NOT hold the shaft with vice grips.

edit: vice grips with rubber might work, but i wouldnt risk it

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by bassrock234 View Post
                use an impact on a low setting. If you really feel you should hold the piston with a vise grip try to grab it as close to the top hat as possible. You'll most likely mark up the shaft and that will mess up the seal in the shock body should the marks ever make contact with the seal.

I've never taken the knobs off my type 2's so I don't know whats under there but alot of struts have an allen key hole in the top to hold the piston still while you tighten the top hat nut. Might want to check that out before using vise grips on the piston.
                Yeah the allen key hole is not there.. only the adjuster hole (when the adjuster is removed) but the hole is shaped like a allen key suppose to go there.. Im stumped. I dont wanna mess up the coilover over while trying to fix it.

Comment

here is a video of the clunk.. you can hear it. Don't mind all the other noises. but you sure can hear a clunk. sorry for the shakyness. It is very hard to hold phone and push on car at the same time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4X7EJW2Xl8
                  Last edited by Ely585; 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Can you get a pic of the hole and of the knob? Really I would just use an impact, just don't go crazy with it and hold it on there to long.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Update: So I took off the dampener adjuster knob thing and the clunk noise stop.. that when I am manually pushing down on the car.. but I can hear it while driving.

And I do not have access to a impact at the moment.

Edit: Here is a better shock test video.. The damper is on all the way stiff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2f7xoygJ0
                      Last edited by Ely585; 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

How long has it been making that noise? When did it start? Did you change something and then it started? Or did it just happen?
                        Last edited by bassrock234; 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

It happened after hit a pothole driving to work. I think that right there ended it. I showed the video to a few others with the same coilovers and they said theres dont even move like that.. i called function and form and they said they'll send me a replacement strut . Then ill have to rebuild my coilover. Which should be fun.

Comment

It's nice that they're sending you a new strut. No charge? They're only $75 anyway but free is always better. Rebuilding it shouldn't be to bad. The bottom tube will screw right off. Just make sure you take the preload off the spring before you unbolt anything, it will make the job a lot easier.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem with my f&f type ones though. Started with the driver side front now they all do it on all 4 corners its the most annoying thing ever! Has kinda turned me off to function and form. But can't afford new suspension so I have to suffer.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=91030 <--MY RIDE!
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140230 <--MY ongoing ENGINE BUILD!..

Comment

Working...
                              X