Front end thump.....driving me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end thump.....driving me crazy

I have a thump in my front end when I hit a bump and I can for the life of me figure it out. I have replaced every part of the front suspension in the past 2,000 miles. Ps rack, inner and outer tie rods, energy poly master kit, moog ball joints, Monroe struts, upper control arms, bearings, rotors, calipers, axels...I've replaced the lower ball joints twice (one was bad some how) and replaced the front struts again yesterday. The noise out of the bad lbj is gone, but when I hit a bump, I still hear a thump. I almost sounds like its coming from the middle of the front end, not left or right side. Any thing I missed? It is driving me crazy

Have you replaced the front engine mount aka torque mount? That's in the center of the front end.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

No I haven't. I visually checked them, and the motor has no excess vibration or moves.....but I was leaning towards motor/or sub frame mount my self. Iam going to order one today, and give it a shot. I don't see it as "throwing parts" at the problem, I see it as restoration. I rebuilt the suspension because the car has over 200k on it, and I wanted to make sure it was good for my safety
      Last edited by Soufkackicustom; 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if these are part of the energy poly master kit but have you replaced the sway bar bushings and sway bar end links?
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

^ that's a good one. My swaybar is making a thump sound but, so is my front mount.. I'm pretty sure that the swabar endlinks are included in the master bushing set though, iirc.

Upon further research, the swaybar bushings are, but the endlinks don't appear to be included.. I would try these, unless you've already replaced them.
          Last edited by dysfunk; 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM.
          92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
          2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I was chasing a thump in my front end... changed axles, lbjs, tie rod (inner and outer), redid all of the brakes, and it ended up being the rack and pinion (you should check yours).

Or, it could be from the back, resonating through the car and making it sound like its in the front. Easy to check if its on the back, jack up the rear end, take of the wheels, and spin the hub (you'll be able to hear if anything is bad). and can visually inspect all of the suspension components. good luck

Comment

Endlinks
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

cliff it..lol jk, did you see if maybe your exhaust isnt loose? And a quick check of the mounts solo mio is just popping the hood and rocking the car with your leg if you get movement of say eh more then 3/4 of an inch somethings up, its should move a little, if you have a standard pop it in gear before you try.
                Last edited by illinois_erik; 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

End links are new, as is the power steering rack. The old one was good, but the boots were torn, by the time I replaced the boots, and inner tie rods, it was about the same for me to replace the entire rack.

As for the rear, it may be coming through the car. My uppers were section and re enforce to clear my wheels. The rear is all new like the front is. Since I just put new (again) lbj's and the front struts, I am going to take it back to the alignment shop next week ( I build, drive 100 miles, recheck everything, then get it aligned) it only seems to be noticeable at low speeds. I don't know if its because its not a loud noise, and I notice it with out all the wind/road noise, or if it goes away. I had it on the interstate yeaserday...85 mph...smooth as glass.

I

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                    cliff it..lol jk, did you see if maybe your exhaust isnt loose? And a quick check of the mounts solo mio is just popping the hood and rocking the car with your leg if you get movement of say eh more then 3/4 of an inch somethings up, its should move a little, if you have a standard pop it in gear before you try.
                    If the insurance would be close to what I have in it....I probably would cliff it....lol, but in all honesty I may be selling it soon, as Iam buying a brand new truck in the next month or so, and I have a project car(s).....so the cb9 may have to go because of lack of space. I wolnt have room for a 6th car. But I still want to fix the thump, just because it bothers me and has so far seemed to elude me. It's like a challenge

Comment

Is the end links tightened properly? Have you removed the upper control arm and check the anchors?
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Also check the sway bar bushings. Use a small prybar and pry on the bar, it shoudn't have any play. Those are usually from what I've seen a huge cause of front end clunks.

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                          Is the end links tightened properly? Have you removed the upper control arm and check the anchors?
                          Yea...that's the first thing I checked. That's what I thought it was, and I had to grease the mess out of them, those damn poly busing squeeked badly. But I've gotten rid of the squek

And I'll check the sway bar again....maybe I didn't get it tight enough after swapping the lbj's

Comment

Working...
                          X