Smooth Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smooth Coilovers

I am very new to suspension and was wondering if you can help me.

i am wanting some coil overs that will offer the smoothest possible ride. nothing short of airbags if you know what i mean. what do you recommend?
    visit vgruk

I think you should go with a set of function/forms teins, etc. All so yo gotta to take account for is the other peices. If you went with all polyurethane bushings the ride is going to be harder.

Comment

so koni orange is ok? what are my bushing options?
      visit vgruk

Comment

AFAIK, polyurethane you have Energy Suspension and Prothane that are the more popular. Other than that I've heard Moog get talked about although I'm not sure if they come in a whole set. I'm also unsure if they come in both poly and rubber but they might so don't quote me on it.

The Facebook group

Comment

Well first of all...

Stiffer bushings like polyurethane take out compliance and "spring" in your bushings. They help the shock and spring handle more of the load on the suspension. They do not automatically make a stiffer ride. It will feel stiffer if you keep the spring rate constant though because more force is being taken up by the spring and shock. With infinitely stiff bushings, you can run a softer spring and shock and have the same ride harshness if that makes sense....and that's a good thing, because it gives the shock a chance to have greater resolution.

Also, coilovers that are "nothing short of air ride" isn't going to happen. When you go lower, you need to go stiffer, otherwise you will bottom out.

With that said, the best full coilovers I have felt on a CB7 are the H&R Street Performance coilovers. They are quite a bit more expensive than function and form, d2, etc, and they do not have damping adjustment...but they don't need it. They are rather soft and offer a generous amount of lowering. I believe the springs are progressive, which is unusual for a full coilover.
          There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Koni Orange are simply shocks, not coilovers. When saying "coilovers", one assumes you mean a full-bodied threaded adjustable spring/shock unit.

Anyway, coilovers are generally NOT intended for comfort. The cheap ones cater to people who want to have an adjustable ride height on a budget (and as with any cheap suspension parts, comfort is the LAST thing they have in mind.) Expensive ones ($1000+) are often intended for race applications, and again... not comfortable.

I've never experienced H&R's coilovers that mndude07 mentioned, though I've used other H&R products (both Sport and Race springs.) They do make quality products.
            Tein Basic is known to be rather soft as well.

You could also potentially go with Ground Control sleeves with a soft spring rate, along with some Koni Yellow shocks. I don't know how soft you can go with the springs, though... You'd need to contact Ground Control about that. They do offer a selection of spring rates, though.

The key to a comfortable lowered ride is having a softer spring (lower spring rate... a progressive spring is best, but as mentioned, rarely found on coilovers), and a shock that is valved properly for the height and spring rate. If the shock doesn't react as it should to the spring, then the ride won't be as comfortable (or safe) as it could be.
            For this reason, I prefer a properly matched quality spring/shock setup over coilovers. (just be aware... just because the parts come from the same company doesn't mean they're quality, or properly matched... in other words, stay far far away from Skunk2!)

Comment

You would be happy with teins.. They're soft

Comment

Application?

Daily Driver?, Sunday Driver?, Full Race?, Weekend Racer?, Hellaflush?...etc..
                Lots of things to consider when doing your suspension.

Took me months to decide on a suspension,
                and a lot of time on CB7TUNER. Keep researching till your sure.
                Lots of good threads here.

As my car is a Daily Driver, All Show, No Go, Low & Slow.
                I decided on Koni Yellows and Tein S-Techs.
                I have NO need to adjust my ride height for certain purposes,
                so I don`t need Coilovers. Full Bodied, or the sleeve kind.

There is dampening adjustments on the Koni Yellows
                to allow for a "stiffer" ride if your going to hit twisties.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

its my dd but when i get a new car its going to be my sunday driver. i wanted coilovers because i cant decide on a set ride height. im going to by hellraisens koni orange when he decides to sell them to me. his ride height is exactly what i want. he has lowering springs on the konis but idk what they are.
                  visit vgruk

Comment

smoothest coilovers ive ridden on was gc sleeves with koni yellow struts. 2nd would be tein basics.
                    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
                      its my dd but when i get a new car its going to be my sunday driver. i wanted coilovers because i cant decide on a set ride height. im going to by hellraisens koni orange when he decides to sell them to me. his ride height is exactly what i want. he has lowering springs on the konis but idk what they are.
                      They are Eibach Pro springs.

Ill take you for a ride next month when we do your fuel pump and suspension/brakes. That way you know for sure if its what you want or not before you buy anything.

Based on what you think at that point if you want them we will make a deal when that time comes. If not you still have a good idea of what you do want and you can go from there.

My current set up is kinda hard on me to drive, it beats me around a bit but thats mainly because after my accident Im all fucked up. You however it shouldnt hurt as much. I dont DD the car anyways so my next setup being 2x as harsh wont matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X