No announcement yet.

The DONT'S of suspension-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGAIN to re- state.... I don't KNOW WHO did the chop job on the springs..... I DO KNOW.... the condition of the swap was done by a local well known shop.... and 2 bolts holding a transmission to the chasis (one finger tight) and dumping gas on out the injectors and running EXTREMELY RICH... was not safe. If he would have ran it too long it would have washed the cylinders out and ruined the motor....or caused a fire and dropped the transmission out the bottom of the car..... busted an axle and caused it to lock into a certain position and one of these scenarios apart from the suspension alone could kill someone.

I agree.... cutting springs is not the issue.... cutting them wrong results in this..... PLEASE BE CAREFUL.... DON'T CUT CORNERS and PAY ATTENTION.... I put some cheap ebay springs (that I had laying around) on for him and corrected everything.... he has NO CEL's, vtec wires run, reverse wires ran, transmission sistting almost straight now (he has a car been converted to 5 speed and using a manual cb bracket) he needs the passenger tranny bracket from a CD and it will fix the not level.... but I would rather it be unlevel by an inch over about to fall out!

Again, Not wanting to embarass him but rather to educate some folks (new guys) about the dangers of doing things wrong... cut springs can be used and have been for decades..... I'm not pro cutting springs.... The old skool guys chained them down..... I think they cause a car to bounce a LOT (like his) and you have a lack of steering control and if you hit a wave or pot hole doing 40+ miles an hour and loose control because of cut springs.... well you know how that can end.
    Last edited by da9b16; 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM.
    WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      How the hell did the car even run?
      It died every 2-3 seconds unless held at WOT foot to the floor.... dumping gas and leaking too.
      WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

Originally posted by da9b16 View Post
        AGAIN to re- state.... I don't KNOW WHO did the chop job on the springs..... I DO KNOW.... the condition of the swap was done by a local well known shop.... and 2 bolts holding a transmission to the chasis (one finger tight) and dumping gas on out the injectors and running EXTREMELY RICH... was not safe. If he would have ran it too long it would have washed the cylinders out and ruined the motor....or caused a fire and dropped the transmission out the bottom of the car..... busted an axle and caused it to lock into a certain position and one of these scenarios apart from the suspension alone could kill someone.

I agree.... cutting springs is not the issue.... cutting them wrong results in this..... PLEASE BE CAREFUL.... DON'T CUT CORNERS and PAY ATTENTION.... I put some cheap ebay springs (that I had laying around) on for him and corrected everything.... he has NO CEL's, vtec wires run, reverse wires ran, transmission sistting almost straight now (he has a car been converted to 5 speed and using a manual cb bracket) he needs the passenger tranny bracket from a CD and it will fix the not level.... but I would rather it be unlevel by an inch over about to fall out!

Again, Not wanting to embarass him but rather to educate some folks (new guys) about the dangers of doing things wrong... cut springs can be used and have been for decades..... I'm not pro cutting springs.... The old skool guys chained them down..... I think they cause a car to bounce a LOT (like his) and you have a lack of steering control and if you hit a wave or pot hole doing 40+ miles an hour and loose control because of cut springs.... well you know how that can end.
        Personally I'm against the practice of cutting Springs. Might as well save up a little cash and get some lowering springs, Shocks/struts and do it the right way. There's so many things that can go wrong when you cut springs. The risk is to high IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by fidelamaya26 View Post
          Personally I'm against the practice of cutting Springs. Might as well save up a little cash and get some lowering springs, Shocks/struts and do it the right way. There's so many things that can go wrong when you cut springs. The risk is to high IMO.
          Agreed....100%.
          WAGONS

Comment

Working...
          X